So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a Magnum/Simcoe IPA tomorrow morning. My first batch since november 15th. That is quite a while for me. Work and the holidays got in the way of my brew schedule. Now it's time to rebuild the pipeline!

tomorrow will be a reworked version of my protoporter. it'll be the third time i've brewed it, and it tends to be the beer i have the hardest time keeping full.

1 gallon test batch. Calling it a Heavy Whole Wheat.

Taking 2 lbs malted wheat and following the basic brewing guys' lead but not with wheat yeast.

2 lbs malted wheat
Mashing at 150 for 1 hour
5 cup 10 min decoctn at 30 min

Boil
60 min, 30 min and 5 min saaz addns

Ferment
70 degrees safale 04 for 1-2 weeks
Scrape krausen

Bottle condition.

Did I mention Im brewing Yoopers Arrogant Bastard ? I had to sub a few oz with caramunich, i think im still good. This beer is so easy to brew!

Hey, not sure where you're from as I'm on my phone, but the water in Sheffield is crazy soft and there is barely and calcium in it so I'm adding calcium chloride and some bicarb, possibly some calcium sulphate, haven't quite figured it out yet.

I'm in central Missouri over here west of the pond. This place is just one big chunk of limestone, so no trouble with soft water. You can brew with the tap water here, no problem. You work in a HBS or a brewery?
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I've brewed with mostly distilled water, a pinch of Burton salts and a little bit of gypsum, plus maybe .5 gallon (~2 L) of spring water for trace elements. Seemed to taste fine. What are you brewing? (or what DID YOU BREW, if you already did)

Brewing up a batch of Centennial Cascade Pale Ale as a first brew on my new eBiab rig. Should be interesting, this will also be my first 5.25G brew, up until now I have been doing 2.5G.

My tendons in my hand are finally healed enough to brew again (6 month break!). I aquired some new equipment in the time off to test out tomorrow-temp controlled ferm chamber, etc. We will see how hard it is to lager a beer for an ale kind of guy!

BrewMU said:
I'm in central Missouri over here west of the pond. This place is just one big chunk of limestone, so no trouble with soft water. You can brew with the tap water here, no problem. You work in a HBS or a brewery?
I'm no expert by any stretch, but I've brewed with mostly distilled water, a pinch of Burton salts and a little bit of gypsum, plus maybe .5 gallon (~2 L) of spring water for trace elements. Seemed to taste fine. What are you brewing? (or what DID YOU BREW, if you already did)

I work in a brewery.

Doing a founders breakfasts stout clone. Although we didn't have the right hops so am using warrior for bittering and goldings for aroma.

My stouts haven't been so good (I think the mineral deficient water is to blame), so hoping the changes will sort it out. Sheffield water isn't too far off pilsen water!

Brewing up our house IPA today, called Nowruz. Originally brewed on the vernal equinox, and we finished the worst boil +/- 5 minutes of the actual moment of equinox. The label read "Warning: may contain the essence of Spring."

:fro:

...or, not. FLHS is out of Chinook for the foreseeable.

Feh.

just winding down from this morning brewing made an IPA
5 gal A/G batch that seemed to go much better ( didn't start
drinkin til after the boil started)don't know if the numbers are
are good pre boil 1.0493 ,post boil 1.064 , put carboy in a bucket
of water an ice it was at 63f when i pitched the wyeast 1056
now havin a cold one er two:mug:

You should take some pictures of that. Wow, what a behemoth. What's your target OG?

Target was 1.125, I think, its the American BW from BCS. Used the Green Bay Rackers calculator and saw that the grain and strike water would be about 21.5g, thought, "Oh, I'm fine." Turns out my cooler is about 22g capacity, not the 25g advertised. Wasn't really able to sparge the way I wanted and ended up a good 15 or so points short. Oh well. Next year I'll mash thicker and maybe add a couple more pounds base malt.

I pitched yeast at about 3, so I'm off to set my alarm for 3am so I can hit it with O2 again.

I started my second batch of beer today. I followed the directions on the can of extract I bought and not like the first batch I brewed, it told me to just dump extract and my sugar in fermenter add boiling water and stir. My fist batch I boiled water and added extract and sugar on the stove top. Will this second batch come out okay? I'm worried?

Recirculating my mash for a 10gal of Double Dunklewiesen. My first wheat beer in my last 200 batches. Wish me luck!

image-835684210.jpg

If I finish the Keggles i plan on an American Brown Ale AG on Sunday. Either way I am racking the Dirty Dave's 50Cent Pale Ale and the Amber III to secondaries.

I've had a sour mash going for the past two days going to drain the running tonight add some more volume and DME. boil it up with mt. hood and add my starter.

Gonna make a RIS and then age it for 2 months on oak chips soaked in whiskey and vanilla beans. Really gonna test the new system with this grain bill.

I'm doing my house porter on my new rig tomorrow. I'm going to use Wyeast "London Ale III" I have never used this yeast so hopefully I'm happy with the conclusion.

We'll be drinking the ales we brewed for Christmas this weekend. We had plenty left,as no one stoped by or could get off work. So I ordered supplies to rebrew my sunset gold APA,& her summer shandy for next weekend. I'll be using Ahtanum & Sterling in the APA this time!

Sampling my Imperial Oatmeal Stout on nitro. It's sublime, one of the best beers i've brewed in 10+ years as a homebrewer.

And at ~10%/vol., it's a sipper, no doubt.

Bklmt2000 :mug:

Back