All the major parts finally on the way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kklowell

Reaction score
My eHerms setup recently made it to the front burner and took priority over my other projects. IN the past month it went from a bare stand and some 15 gallon stainless containers to a completed Igloo cooler MLT, a 5500 watt MLT with a DIY sight glass, a stand with a water filter setup, a 1500 watt, 2-gallon eHerms, and a large collection of small parts, including the PID and one SSR. Between Friday night and now I've also ordered two 40A SSRs, two more heatsinks, 2 30a dryer cords and outlets, the estop switch and two probe type K thermocouples. I plan to use the one PID and switch the thermocouples and SSRs being controled.
This thing started as an exercise in building a really low bucks eBrewery and control panel but will end up taking a lot more money to complete than I would have guessed. All the fittings are brass, the plumbing will be rigid copper or copper/cpvc. When it's done I'll add the costs up and never share that info with SWMBO.
Tomorrow I'll run the 240 line and wire up the spa panel and 4-prong outlet.
ebrew.png

Looking nice can't wait to see finished product. What the wrapping on the kettle? Also, where'd you source the 15 gal stainless container from? Looks like a milk container almost. :) If it's cheap enough I would drive out to Lowell from Springfield for sure! lol

Is that HERMS a galvanized container?

The foam rubber on the HLT is a cheap exercise mat from Christmas tree shops...it was $5, is almost 1/4" thick and is blue...couldn't leave the store without it. The herms tank is a beverage bucket from the Target after-Halloween sale...the little tag on it says, "Halloween Brew", and it was $7. It has a clear plastic coating on it...which was a bummer to scrape off for the grounding screw. I don't really care what it is though, the water in it is only for heat transfer and never touches the wort.
I got those stainless milk-can-looking containers from a friend at work. He used them to store the wine he makes, but has switched to some other type of storage. They started life as a container for Olive oil. They are quite thin, I HOPE they work for my purpose, but if they don't I have a keg standing by to use for the BK. They are 15 gallon containers, which is sweet.They have a 1/2" pipe thread fitting in the bottom of the side too.
I will be boiling water in both of them for an extended period of time before I make the first batch, just to make certain they are free of any wine residue.

That sure looks like it, except the bottom of the Fusti seems to have a "bumper" of some type on it, which mine does not. Cool to see that they cost that much...I got mine for free.

Latest posts

Back