Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bad case of the sulfur smell. Fermentation has just stopped a few hours ago. I have a paint mixer, should I degas it with this or should I force carb then degas? or try both?

I have a bad case of the sulfur smell. Fermentation has just stopped a few hours ago. I have a paint mixer, should I degas it with this or should I force carb then degas? or try both?

I would either let it sit under airlock for a week, or degas and smell it. If sulfur is still there you can always force carb and it to scrub the sulfur out, or leave it under airlock.

I bet your ferment temp was a bit low - that caused more sulfur on my first batch of this (68 ferment in the beginning). Ever since I dialed up to 72-73F for hte ferment I am not getting any sulfur stink, and a very clean smelling ferment.

My pee is finally fully carbed and clear. It takes a long time sitting in the keg to get there but it was worth it because it tastes much better now. I was drinking it last night with muddled mint leaves in a full glass of ice. It is very refreshing in this heat.

My pee is finally fully carbed and clear. It takes a long time sitting in the keg to get there but it was worth it because it tastes much better now. I was drinking it last night with muddled mint leaves in a full glass of ice. It is very refreshing in this heat.

finally! :)

Have you tried it with mint? We were making mojitos the other day and I thought I would try the mint with the pee. It's really good. I think I better start another batch next week.

Mmm, mint sounds great.... think it would be worth trying a mint leaf "dry hop" with this stuff???

Have you tried it with mint? We were making mojitos the other day and I thought I would try the mint with the pee. It's really good. I think I better start another batch next week.

That is a fantastic idea - I will have to give it a go. Do you just crush up mint leaves and toss in? I knew we should have put some mint leaves in our herb garden...!

That is a fantastic idea - I will have to give it a go. Do you just crush up mint leaves and toss in? I knew we should have put some mint leaves in our herb garden...!

I'm not sure if the right term is "muddled" or not. I used 3 leaves and tore them into pieces and then used one of those wooden tools used to muddle limes and mint for mojitos and mashed them up in a pint glass before adding ice and pee. I would normally use more mint but our mint plant isn't very big yet and I didn't want to strip it clean already.

Any ideas on what would be a good ratio if using lemon and lime juice? 50/50? More lemon? I know bottled lime juice is considerably more expensive...

I've read a number of posts from people who have had success subbing out 32oz of lemon juice for lime. I started a batch of that myself this week.

I just started a batch of all lime. The lime concentrate was about twice the cost of the lemon but it is still cheap to make overall.

We are calling it "bug juice". Seems kind of appropriate for Michigan this time of year.

Ok, first time I've ever messed up a bit on a recipe. I accidentally put 3 tsp of yeast energizer in :eek: and then realized I was out of yeast nutrient. That was 48 hours ago tonight. I've called around to the LHBS shops but nobody has the nutrient.

Any substitutes?
Other supply places that would have DAP use for other purposes?
Could it just be skipped?
We have a group brew tomorrow and I might be able to scab some off a fellow member so if it is absolutely needed I may be alright.

TIA

honestly i couldnt' say. i've just heard of this being done. one recipe for somthing i was reading had you adding a packet of yeast to the boil in the last ten minutes. so i would guess use it all. besides, i'm not sure how long yeast will keep once its open.

unless someone else has a better suggestion then go with what they say. i've never tried this, just read about it.

Fermented out in six days :rockin:
6/5 @1.071
6/11 @0.0995

Here's a vid of the fermentation activity on day two:

It's time to finish up, back-sweeten, then keg and carb!

Last edited by a moderator:
my first batch ever, i made it pretty much by the book, degassed, cleared beautifully, stabilized and (partially) sweetened to about 1.005 1 week ago. it is crystal clear and there is no new fermentation. i tasted it today and it's half good and half weird, the tangy lemon slap offset by a bit of sugar, really nice, but there is a strong yeasty taste to it still and a weird bitter note that i can't figure out. i'll leave it be for a few weeks but any comments/suggestions are welcome!

Where can I get clear, capable bottles? The only clear beer bottles I know of are Corona - and I think they have painted labels - and MGD which is definitely twist-off.

Stupid me - I finally read through Lon's skeeter pee FAQ in its entirety and he mentions using Modelo Especial bottles - they're perfect! They have a unique shape, nothing is etched into the bottle and they're both clear and returnable.

I picked up a case this weekend - the beer is nothing special, but it's a nice summer macrolager. I have a lot to drink if I want at least two cases by the time I bottle.

I have been using Corona bottles. At first I didn't think I could get the lables off as it's ceramic coated. But a quick soak (less then 30 min) in CLR cleaner and the paint just drips off, especially if you give it a quick scrub or brush.

CLR is the Calcium Lime Rust stuff available in Target,Walmart, ect. Just take precautions and wear gloves because it is an acid.

After that the bottles look like they do in the picture!

IMG_3787.jpg

just got my first batch of pee in the fermenter! i hope this comes out as good as i hear it does. could be making a lot of this, this summer. i'll post back when it finishes.

I have been using Corona bottles. At first I didn't think I could get the lables off as it's ceramic coated. But a quick soak (less then 30 min) in CLR cleaner and the paint just drips off, especially if you give it a quick scrub or brush.

CLR is the Calcium Lime Rust stuff available in Target,Walmart, ect. Just take precautions and wear gloves because it is an acid.

Another great way to remove those pesky painted on labels is with a 4 1/2" angle grinder/bench grinder with a brush wheel on it. All done in about 15 seconds...If you do this please use the correct protection. Wires can & will break off the wheel and can get jammed into things you would rather not have them in, like your eyes...

After my yeast nutrient/energizer and 32 oz. lemon juice addition at SG 1.050 fermentation seems to have come to a halt. It was going strong before the addition. I mixed everything up real good and whipped in some oxygen per instructions....

It's been 24 hours - should I put together a new starter, or give it at least 48?

After my yeast nutrient/energizer and 32 oz. lemon juice addition at SG 1.050 fermentation seems to have come to a halt. It was going strong before the addition. I mixed everything up real good and whipped in some oxygen per instructions....

It's been 24 hours - should I put together a new starter, or give it at least 48?

ferment temp?

I just did this myself after searching for examples of someone else doing it and coming up short. The other difference is that I used S-04 ale yeast. it's going ok so far but I have no idea how its going to really turn out. I'll post on how it turns out once I know.

Preliminary results:

the pee finally cleared middle of last week so I sweetened and bottled it yesterday. I am not using any sort of chemicals to kill off the yeast and am going to let it carb in the bottles for a few days and pasteurize it using Pappers stove-top pasteurization process. My initial impression is that it is good but not excellent. since I used the S-04 yeast cake off an apfelwein, there is a slight aftertaste of cider and yeast that is just a bit more noticeable than I would like. keep in mind though that this is a sample taken at the end of bottling being at room temperature from the bottom of the bucket where the sediment in the glass is highest.

When its all done I will post my final impressions.

:mug:

You may have stunned the yeast if the addition was cooler than the must. Or the addition might have just shocked them a bit - I would give in 48 hours at that temp and see if it picks up (keep you temp constant where you have it).

If it doesn't pick up take another gravity and see if it is still 1.050. You don't need bubbles to necessarily have an active ferment.

Could be a lot of things but start with the simplest (RDWHAHB). It is always cheap an easy to repitch some dry yeast, but I would hold off on that for now.

I'll give it 48 hours - it's a steady 74 in the house now. Still no airlock activity. I'll take a reading tomorrow and re-pitch if necessary.

I'll give it 48 hours - it's a steady 74 in the house now. Still no airlock activity. I'll take a reading tomorrow and re-pitch if necessary.

74 in the house doesn't mean 74 in the fermenter - do you have a thermometer on the fermenter? I still think your temp is ok, just sayin' :)

That's true and I haven't checked the temperature inside - I've found primaries ferment about 2-3 degrees warmer than ambient temperature which would still keep me within the yeast's happy zone.

My lemon juice addition was room temperature when added so it seems strange that would halt their activity. Has anyone else had fermentation get stuck after the 1.050 addition?

Update: so after 48 hours of absolutely no airlock activity (with an S bubble two piece airlock) I opened the lid and there was a nice layer of foam on top indicating fermentation. I took a gravity reading and it was down to 1.030.

How can it be fermenting with no airlock activity? The lid seemed to be sealed completely...

I'm still thinking about re-pitching another packet of 1118 - is this a bad idea?

I'm a bit of a wine noob.

Update: so after 48 hours of absolutely no airlock activity (with an S bubble two piece airlock) I opened the lid and there was a nice layer of foam on top indicating fermentation. I took a gravity reading and it was down to 1.030.

How can it be fermenting with no airlock activity? The lid seemed to be sealed completely...

I'm still thinking about re-pitching another packet of 1118 - is this a bad idea?

I'm a bit of a wine noob.

as long as the gravity is dropping there is no need to repitch........ taste it from your gravity samples to make sure its coming along... might just be a slow fermentation.. after the second additions and there was activity the day after, i let mine go for 2 weeks and didnt worry about it.. RDWDAHB

EDIT: oh, never trust an airlock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: oh, never trust an airlock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
I am now to the point where I never USE an airlock, unless I am doing a secondary; which may as well be never...Blow off tubes + buckets FTW!!!

In the process of making my first batch of SP. Brewed (?) about 6 days ago. Pitched the must/Red Star Cuvee starter (added the Red Star, 'cause the starter didn't look like it was doing anything) about 3 days ago. Airlock activity took off about 18 hours later. OG about 1.066. SG tonight 1.030. Added Yeast nutrient/energizer and "whipped it good". I was expecting to see airlock activity tomorrow sometime, but 3 minutes later it was bubbling away. Yowza, busy yeasties!

If I wanted to make a pomegranate pee...what do you guys think would be the best way to impart said flavor? I've thought about adding a 48oz bottle of pomegranate juice (in addition to the 3 quarts of lemon juice) when I start it....too much/little?

Back