Home Depot Rubbermaid cooler conversion - bargainfittings.com question to MLT -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
Anyone convert a Home Depot rubbermaid 5 or 10 gallon cooler to MLT recently? I picked one of each up this week to use as MLT and HLT and want to buy a valve and fittings from bargainfittings.com - I'm looking for feedback as to whether I should get the keg/kettle bulkhead kit meant for 1/8 keg or kettle walls or 1/4 without an included shim or if I should get the shortest cooler bulkhead kit meant for up to 3/8 cooler wall. I'm measuring the cooler wall at just a bit less than 1/4, which should let me use the keg/kettle kit, but I don't know the significance of the shim, and I don't know if I go up to the cooler kit, if the kit meant for 3/8 wall will be too long and I'll have to add extra shims.

Why not just follow this? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/#post223137

I followed that. It took no time at all and I'm no DIY expert by any means. Served me well for more than 2 years now.

Difficulty of finding SS components, which I'd prefer, at local hardware stores has me looking to a complete kit at a reasonable price from bargainfittings. I spent a lot of time in that thread reading at least half of it, thanks for letting me know it worked for you.

I concur about the 1.5" nipple. I've done this exact thing with a HD cooler + Bargainfittings. It has worked great for me.

I followed the sticky and went to a local fastenal store for the ss washers and hd for the rest with a leak free fit. Cheap, local and easy

I have the same (standard) BF conversion kit in my 10 gal Rubbermaid Cooler. Works great for over two years now.

Back