Cheese Cloth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
Two things here...One is: Is it ok to mash grains without cheese cloth? Like just putting them in the water and then straining them out after? Or is that a no-no.

2nd: Is there a place I can mass order this stuff for like 10 cents a foot? It seems a little ridiculous to be having to pay $5 and $6 for a yard of it, when that really only covers just about 1 brew.

instead of using cheese cloth use an unused a paint strainer bag instead. you can reuse it time and time again with no ill effects.

For not TOO much money, you can buy a grain bag, as big as 2 feet by 3 feet. I have one (smaller paint strainer bag) that I have used probably 10 or 15 times. I can mash 10 pounds of grain in the one that I have, I would guess as much as 20 lbs in the bigger one. Most online homebrew webstores should have them.

Tipsy's right, a Nylon paint strainer bag from the hardware store, used to fit into 5 gallon paint buckets is pretty much what we use. You would have to figure out a way to sew the cheesecloth into a bag shape, or you would be pressing them pretty tightly into a cheesecloth boll, which would make for lousy efficiency.

288093_300.jpg

paint+strainer.jpg

biab2.jpg

Thanks for the tips, the paint bag could be pretty useful. I only do partial mash, so I've only ever used 2lbs of grains before, and I doubt I'll be doing any all grain for a while.

What about just pouring the grains directly into the pot and then straining them out after? Bad idea?

That would work. But a paint strainer bag is WAY easier, and I am lazy.

Thanks for the tips, the paint bag could be pretty useful. I only do partial mash, so I've only ever used 2lbs of grains before, and I doubt I'll be doing any all grain for a while.

What about just pouring the grains directly into the pot and then straining them out after? Bad idea?

That was a way it was once done...but having the grain in a strainer bag means you are easily removing all the grain in one fell swoop. Much easier. And they came in other sizes down to 1 gallon.

Back