Plastic 15gallon kegs for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is a liquor store her in San Diego that is selling these kegs for $15, I'm thinking of picking up a couple, but I have too many projects right this second I just don't know if I'm going to get them, and I think it might send SWMBO through the roof if I come home with some thing else!

But...I bet they might make good a fermenter, or a MLT? or an electric HLT?
Plastic kegs.jpg

Plastic Kegs America

That's a great price... I think they run $89 or more new...

I'm waiting for the 1/6 bbl size. I think it would be a blast to put my brew in these things. I already have some D Sankey Couplers...and from what I understand...you have to leave them in the chiller longer to get cold because of the insulating properties of the plastic. But doens't that mean it would take longer for them to get warm when you take them out???

I'm thinking it would be perfect to go with my Jockey Box when I go over to friends houses to watch football. The keg would keep the beer a bit colder than the Stainless Steel Corny...and I'm running it though the chill coil anyway, so it would be dispensed refreshingly cold. Hmmm... I've got to keep my eye out for these.

Don't see the point of MLT or HLT as these are not insulated like a cooler. Fermenting would be nice however. Do you think that store would ship them?

Don't see the point of MLT or HLT as these are not insulated like a cooler. Fermenting would be nice however. Do you think that store would ship them?

I think they might be more insulated than a SS keg, I'll see though. I'm going to swing by after work tonight and look at them.

I doubt they will ship them, but you never know. Search Keg on San Diego Craig's list and shoot them an email, they say they have 22.

That means they dont want them back after they are used, hence disposable. It also means that they are not designed for hard cleaning over and over again.

The liquor store probably still charges the same deposit as a SS Keg because they are also renting the tap and need to get that back. The brewery doesn't want them back since they are disposable.

This has me thinking about collecting 10 more Anheuser Bush stainless 15.5 kegs off my local delivery driver and store for future brewing use. So far I have 14 kegs and 3 pony kegs from him, costs me a couple 6 packs of Porters and stouts each. The Jack Daniels keg is a keeper, will not cut it.
I agree with the above reply what will happen after many cleanings over many years use? I'll stick with stainless it hasn't failed me yet.

I have a few of these, a local bar gives them to me. I posted a while back asking for ideas. The sankey fitting does not come apart. The ones I have are from Baron's brewery, black wattle, they use them because shipping the kegs back to Australia would not make sense. There is a clear "bubble" inside the outer shell. I took 2 apart and use the shells as trash cans, but I had to cut open the bubble to get it out of the shell. I guess you could dispense or ferment in them but not being able to open and clean the valve is a no go for me. I would not pay a dime for one of those. BTW the ones I have are not 15g, they are smaller I forget the size. I'm growing hops in one of them.

that sux you cant open it , but nothing can get me away from stainless

Thanks bdavanza, I was not sure what these where, if they where like a keg but plastic, or what. But with your description I don't think they will be suitable for what I want them for.

That means they dont want them back after they are used, hence disposable. It also means that they are not designed for hard cleaning over and over again.

I would be interesting to find out who manufactured these kegs. They might have a website that has all the specs.

I know the one of the companies that makes them here in the states states that they are impervious to cleaning chemicals...and can be reused...but a special tool is required to take the valve out. Having never seen one...I don't know if it's the same split ring desing that SS Sankeys use or not.

If I lived close enough...I'd pick one up to play with.

I would be interesting to find out who manufactured these kegs. They might have a website that has all the specs.

I know the one of the companies that makes them here in the states states that they are impervious to cleaning chemicals...and can be reused...but a special tool is required to take the valve out. Having never seen one...I don't know if it's the same split ring desing that SS Sankeys use or not.

If I lived close enough...I'd pick one up to play with.

Not sure it's the same exact ones, but these guys have plastic kegs in various sizes. Talks about using the for soda or beer, so may be able to get corny connectors for them (haven't looked real close at the site yet).

Plastic Kegs America

there are lots of warnings about pressure, not lifting by the coupler, patented in Australia and other countries, but no manufacturers name unless "one way keg" is the maker.
Oh wait, it is the name:
The One Way Keg™

Not sure it's the same exact ones, but these guys have plastic kegs in various sizes. Talks about using the for soda or beer, so may be able to get corny connectors for them (haven't looked real close at the site yet).

Plastic Kegs America

A few months ago someone on this site contacted Plastic Kegs America. They will not produce them with corny connectors and seem to not want to deal with homebrewers (ie. won't sell to us directly).

The liquor store probably still charges the same deposit as a SS Keg because they are also renting the tap and need to get that back. The brewery doesn't want them back since they are disposable.

My liquor store charges $35 deposit for the keg, $30 deposit for a tap, and $15 deposit for the barrel to ice it down in. If they had any beers in these "one way" kegs they would just charge the $45 for the other equipment and none for the keg. Also the give back the entirety of the deposit (i.e. no rent on the tap) if you are buying the beer there. If, however, you bought the beer at that place down the road that ran out of taps and sent you to us, we would charge you a $5 use fee. ;)

I understand using these for export beers over long distances, but do we really need any more "disposable" crap? I rarely see bars doing things like recycling, and you have to take these apart to separate the 2 kinds of plastic. It's some work.

Plastic kegs america will give you quotes for 10 kegs and up, so Im sure they will sell to us directly. Im thinking about getting a few people in my area to buy pin casks from them in a group buy.

Plastic kegs america will give you quotes for 10 kegs and up, so Im sure they will sell to us directly. Im thinking about getting a few people in my area to buy pin casks from them in a group buy.

I wonder what kind of "special tool" you need to open the Sankey valve on them??? They should make a version specifically for the Homebrew market that's easy to open and clean. I'm all for the sankey valve...just need to be able to clean and inspect the inside routinely. They've got a huge price advantage over NEW Stainless Steel models, and the used corny market is eventually going to be depleted to the point the price break won't be there anymore.

We need AHA to Lobby for us... Build us a Homebrew version!! And keep it inexpensive!!:rockin:

As I understand from this thread they are wholesale only. Unless they have changed since then you would probably have to send in a copy of your business license or some other documentation to show you are a business.

Latest posts

Back