My beer has a head on it after only 3 days in the bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak47clown

Reaction score
Just made my 2nd brew today and when I was done, I couldn't help but pull a bottle from my first batch that i bottled on sat. and threw it in the freezer for about 20 minutes. When i cracked it open and poured it, i was not expecting much. To my surprise this is what I found:

firstbeer.jpg

Is it normal to have this amount of carbonation that soon? Beer was defintely done fermenting when i bottled and i used the pack of primer sugar that came with the kit to carbonate...

Awesome, actually. It's an Irish Red but right now it tastes (and looks) more like a nut brown ale. Honestly, if it didn't change at all from this I'd probably be happy-tastes a lot like some good beers i've had at my local pub.

yeah i had a sip when i racked from the primary to secondary and then when i was bottling too and that was defintely about as flat as you could get. But this bottle defintely was not flat at all even at the end. This just made my 3 weeks a little longer..

I'm not surprised to read a beer was carbed after just a few days in the bottle. However, in a lot of cases a bottle-conditioned beer will improve greatly long after the carbonation has 'appeared' to have finished.

cool-i guess without any experience, I was just under the impression that the better part of the recommended 3 week wait in the bottle was due to the carbonation process being slow.

Back