Snowing in Portland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordbeermestrength

Reaction score
And I'm warm inside with our gas fireplace going!

I brewed a mild last week, and bought ingredients for a golden strong which i brewed 2 days ago. Drinking the mild now and listening to Christmas music with the occasional <glug glug> of the airlock on the fermenter.

It's a good feeling :mug:

Its back up in the 70s here for today.

Sitting at my computer and occasionally checking the 17 gallons of Apfelwein chugging away in the closet.

Drinking some mead and contemplating what I want to do the rest of the day.

CHEERS! :mug:

We still have snow on the ground from a couple days ago here in Seattle, and its supposed to snow again.

On one hand, I'm excited, I love it when it snows.

On the other, I have all the grain for Orfy's Mild ground up and waiting, a yeast starter ready to pitch but I'm not quite sure if I want to stand outside in the 25 degree weather for 4 hours.

Yeah,I know it's snowing in Portland...My daughters flight home[W.Va.] was just cancelled !!..due to other cancellations,she may not make it home for Christmas...BUMMER !!

They keep saying the big one is heading our way. Anywhere from 6-24" is what the weather people are saying. Damn, talk about a wide range.

I'm about to go out to home depot and grab some concrete blocks for the back of my truck.

Yeah,I know it's snowing in Portland...My daughters flight home[W.Va.] was just cancelled !!..due to other cancellations,she may not make it home for Christmas...BUMMER !!

that is a bummer!

We are supposed to have Christmas up in Tacoma with my family, and my cousin from San Diego is supposed to fly up, hopefully it doesn't get TOO snowy here so we can still spend the holidays together.

But as for now I am enjoying the snow.

Snow in the Willamette valley = FREE ENTERTAINMENT saw a dually get stuck in a FRIGGING PARKINGLOT on sunday (first day of snow here). I mean come on - it was a bit slick but nothing like midwesterners/ east coasters deal with ALL THE TIME!

Waiting for another "automobile pinball" video like from a year or two ago (car sliding on hill - hit a bunch of other cars because they had no clue of how to drive in the snow)...

I remember seeing that on the news, it was 13th Ave wasn't it? Nice and hilly and slipping around and crap. Me and SWMBO've been driving around all day yesterday and I only saw a few *****ebaggy drivers. I was pleasantly surprised.

I know it was a hilly area... not sure what st (I avoid portland when I can... though I'm probably interning there this summer)...

It has been suprising how few stupid moves I've seen this storm. My place is right on the edge of the storm system - my parents house had a decent amount of snow, about 1/2 way home there was no snow left on the freeway.

Funny what a little change in elevation and geography can do.

Okay... snowed AGAIN last night and apparantly its supposed to snow more today. We have about 2' ('=feet) now.... And I don't have a snow shovel or chains. Good thing I have vacation most of this week...

Only one problem. I'm almost out of beer!!!:mad:

We've been snowed in since Wednesday the 17th. On the upside I have an almost full keg, and I've been baking like it's going out of style. On the downside, I'm going a little crazy stuck at home and there's no way the corvette's making it out of here.

We've been snowed in since Wednesday the 17th. On the upside I have an almost full keg, and I've been baking like it's going out of style. On the downside, I'm going a little crazy stuck at home and there's no way the corvette's making it out of here.

WTF? You shoot guns, but you don't have a big jacked up diesel powered 4 wheel drive? Seriously, it might be a bit stereotypical, but I'd fully expect to see you behind the wheel of an F-250 Dually, or an big old Bronco or Scout II.

Still snowing this morning. Now I am not sure if we will be able to get up to WA for Christmas with the family...

took some pictures of the cold outside

I have never seen this much snow in the Pac NW my whole life (minus of course the mountains). My grandmother said she hasn't seen this much snow since the 50's.

Drank our last bottle of wine last night and now all I have is special bottles that I really don't wanna open (Abyss, Dissident, double dead guy, double bastard, etc...). I need to get out to the LHBS soon so I can get another batch going.

Well, I *had* good transportation, until this morning when I got home from work. I got stuck in a rut trying to park, (plus had to work last night because SOME people couldn't make it in) and ended up getting the chain jammed into the brakes. And it broke. No, the chain did, not the brakes. Ever try taking a tire off in the snow? Yea it bites. Then a hike down to BiMart for them to be OUT of the chain size I need.

Glad work hasn't called yet, I won't be going in.

Eh work called last night and said they would be open today. It was hell driving to work it took me an hour longer than it usually does, the worst part is I got stuck a block from work and had to have a coworker push me out. I don't have anything to do so I guess I'll just be surfin HBT. Take a look at what I did yesterday though in my back yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember it getting nasty up there as a child.
It snowed on the last three visits home -

It's just rainy and cold as hell here in SF bay area lately.

Still more snow. Ice, snow, ice, snow, ice & snow. Three crunchy layers. Tried to get the 4x4 out of the garage yesterday, but the snow is damp and about 5" over the bed, so it's like backing into a wall. The pack isn't strong enough to get on top. 3100 feet to the road.

Walking is 'interesting'. Hoist yourself up on the top ice layer, put some weight on it and Crunch, Crunch, Crunch! Not as bad as ChiTown, but no one has snow throwers around here. (Not that 99% of snow throwers can handle what's outside.) Boss Bailey has an odd bunch of cuts from the ice. He has decided to stay close to the house for the duration.

Amazing how the weather differs from portland to eugene. We had the cold snap, then about 5" of snow. Then it all melted and now its raining.

That said, people still drive like idiots. Its been spitting snow all day and evening. But people refuse to slow down. Tonight I have been on a 6 car accident on I-5 and another single car accident.

All due to the roads freezing and people being in a hurry to get home after the holiday.

Rain in the forecast, so maybe the snow will melt. Took a look down the main driveway yesterday. Lots of deadfall, I figure a couple days to clear it out. Didn't see any of the larger trees down, which is good as I only have a gas polesaw. If I need to, I can probably load the generator into the truck and use the electric saw.

Then there's always my neighbor, he's a total nut on wood heat. Anyone who wants a tree taken down, he'll do it for the wood.

Back