When topping off with water do you stop at 5 gal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What volume does your recipe call for? Original Gravity? I believe you mean Trub and you should not worry about it, the recipes final volume includes everything that would be produced after a brew. RDWHAHB

Entirely up to you. I brew all grain, so no top off water, but I usually try to end up with around 6 gallons in my fermenter to allow for any losses that may occur before it reaches the bottle, so I usually end up with 5 gallons in the end.

I measure out everything including how much water the grain will soak up - bottem line is I have about 5.2gallons in the carboy.

I usually top off to the 5 gallon mark. Thats what most of my recipes call for and I just do it that way even if the don't.

I top off until I hit my target SG to within a point or two (i usually go a little bit over on the extract to ensure I'm a little high). Most of the time I'm at about 5.5 gallons, one time I got almost to 6.

Is there an easy way to take a reading??? Using an auto siphon is a pain at times.

With one o' these- made by the same company that makes the auto siphon.

4356.jpg

Back