Pitch dry yeast or re-order the liquid yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damrass

Reaction score
Today I was planning on brewing a Nut Brown Ale, but unfortunately the smack pack I smacked yesterday has yet to inflate. Doesn't surprise me because when it arrived it was pretty warm from being on the UPS truck all day.

So I have a couple options. I can fallback on some Munton's Ale Yeast, I can wait another couple days to see if the smack pack inflates, or I can re-order the liquid yeast.

I wouldn't mind using the dry stuff, but will it work for a Nut Brown Ale? What will be the difference in taste over the Wyeast #1028 London yeast?

I never mail order liquid yeast in the summer, too unreliable. While I love dry yeast, Munton's is about the last one I'd choose...I think a lot of us have a few packets of that stuff kicking around, from some long-forgotten kit! I've never actually used it, but their own literature suggests it's not ideal for all-malt recipes. But still, I hang onto those little yellow packets...my doomsday yeast! :D

If you can't buy your 1028 locally, I'd order some Safale S-04. It's really starting to edge out US-05 as my favorite yeast, crisp & clean with just a bit of fruitiness, and it clears very quickly. I think it's ideal for most British ales. Nottingham would do alright as well.

That's what I was afraid of. There's a LHBS about 30 minutes away, I guess I'll call them and see if they have what I need.

That's what I was afraid of. There's a LHBS about 30 minutes away, I guess I'll call them and see if they have what I need.

Yeah, if you have one that close you may as well get exactly what you want.

I see you're planning a SNPA clone...see if you can pick up a few packets of Safale US-05 while you're at the LHBS. It's the perfect yeast for that brew, supposedly a dry version of Sierra Nevada's own "Chico" strain.

Yeah, nottingham for high attenuation, eg dry stouts, Safale s-04 for medium english ales, s-05 for dry pale ales. Danstar (makers of nottingham) also make a munich yeast for euro lagers. It pays to keep at least one of each each handy in the fridge for when other recultured or liquid yeasts don't seem to work.
I would pitch whatever you have right now personally. Then on monday buy whatever you need. If by then fermentation has started, keep what you bought for the next brew, if not, pitch the new yeast.

Okay guys, just got back from the brew shop. He was out of any appropriate liquid yeasts, but I did pick up some Danstar Nottingham and some Safale S-04. Which would be the best for the Nut Brown Ale?

If you have one that close why did you mail order yeast? Never mind. I look for any opportunity to go talk to the guys in my LHBS. we'll if you make the trip take a small ice chest(lunch box size is what I use) with ice packs, and buy 3-4. Keep them in the fridge and you wont have this problem again.

Just pitched 2 packets of Safale S-04. SG was spot on. I have a good feeling about this batch. :rockin: Thanks for your help guys.

Just pitched 2 packets of Safale S-04. SG was spot on. I have a good feeling about this batch. :rockin: Thanks for your help guys.

That'd be my choice too, although you can't go wrong with Nottingham. They are both good yeasts to keep on hand.

Let us know how the batch turns out! :mug:

Latest posts

Back