Strawberry Blonde chick beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newell456

Reaction score
I made this recipe from one posted on my LHBS website.

http://theredsalamander.com/Recipe.aspx?ID=11

I used 5 pounds of frozen strawberries, but I let them thaw and then refreeze them because the quick freeze method used in the frozen-food industry minimizes the amount of ice crystals breaking cell walls, and I wanted the cell walls to break down more.

I enjoyed it. Although it's lighter bodied than what I like, women really enjoy it. Every woman who has tried it asks me when I'm going to make more, and it's an excellent lawn-mower beer or crowd pleaser for non beer snobs. The only other modification I made is forgetting to add the aroma hops because I had too much homebrew by the time I finished to remember. That was a happy accident because the beer smelled of fresh strawberries.

Sounds like a good one. I actually really like fruit beers. For your next crowd pleaser, you might want to try a Watermelon Wheat.

That sounds delishious! How big of a wort did you use for those directions? Right now I'm brewing out of a 5gal pot + stove, but I'm guessing those are written for a 5 or 10gal on propane.

A watermelon wheat does sound good - every watermelon drink recipe I have, you have to strain the pureed solids out, but I guess you wouldn't have to worry about that with beer.

(edit) Oops, juts found the watermelon wheat thread!

I'm not sure of the size of my brew pot, but it's well under 5 gallons, and I did it on the stove. It's a pretty basic extract recipe, although I went past just steeping the grains and mashed them, more or less.

the simple sugars from the strawberries is what made it so light bodied. if you mash a little hotter you could probably increase the body a little.

Sounds like a good one. I actually really like fruit beers. For your next crowd pleaser, you might want to try a Watermelon Wheat.

I have to add my 5 lbs strawberries to the secondary tomorrow, but I just noticed that watermelon is on sale. I'm debating going that route. Any ideas on how much watermelon to add instead of strawberries? The watermelon wheat calls for a couple of cups of juice, but that might be too little for this batch given the amount of malts. 5lbs of watermelon seems like too much, given that it's a lot sweeter than strawberries.

I have to add my 5 lbs strawberries to the secondary tomorrow, but I just noticed that watermelon is on sale. I'm debating going that route. Any ideas on how much watermelon to add instead of strawberries? The watermelon wheat calls for a couple of cups of juice, but that might be too little for this batch given the amount of malts. 5lbs of watermelon seems like too much, given that it's a lot sweeter than strawberries.

I'd go about 4 cups of melon juice per 5 gallons. It's a very mild taste, but really nice for a summer beer.

i recently made a blueberry ale and added 3 lbs to the secondary. the fermentation from the added sugar made my FG lowertha I wanted so it'll be a bit dryer than i wanted. next time i think i'll use some camden tabelets in secondary to stop this form happenning. Of course you'd have to keg, but you might want to consider it

Back