Help! White 'stuff' on top of fermenting batches in carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiarrith

Reaction score
Last year we had a blood orange mead that got stuck [too much acid for the yeast from the insane amount of oranges i squeezed into the must] and I kept it in the carboy for about 9 months, even once it was obvious it was dead [but the flavor was such that everyone with a sweet tooth loved it and so we did not re-start it, and just bottle it as a dessert mead and give it to various folks as gifts ;)]. Anyway before bottling I noticed there was some white crust/scum/whatever in the top of this, and if I shook it up it 'broke' apart. There was only a bit and so I didnt worry about it and went on with life.

This year three of our batches have this stuff, more than the blood orange.

The one that has the most is actually a wine with no honey in it.

Should I be worried about this?

Anyone else run across this?

If they were not in carboys I'd just skim it off, but I dunno if I rack it if it will just reform or somehow escape into the new carboy...bleh.

Thoughts? experiences?

Thanks!

Karen

Ah, no, sorry maybe I shall edit this to clarify....
The fermentation is quite slow now
These batches have been going at least 6 months now.

It is not bubbling or foaming...it is a bit hard to describe, but actually quite different...it is filmy...coats the top surface and 'breaks apart' when shaken a bit, similar to how scum from honey coats the top of the must before you skim it out...but much whiter and thicker in the case of the wine.

Does it look like tiny icebergs? Is it kinda waxy looking as well? I had that happen on my Niagra wine. Looked freakin nasty, but I just racked underneath it and the wine is delicious. I would rack it and add potassium metabisulfite if it's done fermenting. A picture would help as well.

Back