2006 rhizomes came today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Planting my 5 new rhizomes!

Glacier
Chinook
Cascade
Santiam
Horizon

That means I'll have 7 hop plants growing this summer. The 2 from last year (Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer) should actually give a yield this year.

I am excited about the varieties I got this year.

I guess you have already, but go back and listen to the Brewing Network show on hops. Also this Sunday's show is all about planting your hops.

鯰  said:
I guess you have already, but go back and listen to the Brewing Network show on hops. Also this Sunday's show is all about planting your hops.

With Vinnie, yeah that was a great one. This week's show is all about growing hops too--I think the guy from Hopsdirect is the guest. Should be great!

On another note, this is what I plan to do with my hop harvest this year! All the hops in the recipe are "wet hops", meaning picked straight off the vine, no drying necessary. Supposedly it is a whole different experience.

(Recipe stolen from none other than Vinnie Cilurzo, creator of Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger)

HopTime Harvest Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.75
Anticipated OG: 1.065 Plato: 16.01
Anticipated SRM: 8.4
Anticipated IBU: 269.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.3 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.3 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.5 0.75 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 65.3 90 min.
7.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 134.8 90 min.
5.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 69.2 30 min.
2.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 0.0 0 min.
5.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 0.0 Dry Hop
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

Cali Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 13.75
Water Qts: 13.75 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.44 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

http://www.sonomabeerocrats.org/art/hoptime.pdf

Dude said:
Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Planting my 5 new rhizomes!

Glacier
Chinook
Cascade
Santiam
Horizon

That means I'll have 7 hop plants growing this summer. The 2 from last year (Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer) should actually give a yield this year.

I am excited about the varieties I got this year.
Dude! You have been brewing for a little over a year. I get this feeling you have taken to the hobby. I've been doing it for ten years and you have me beat by a mile!:rockin:

So is it too late for the rest of us to order hops and get them in the ground?

We get one of those gardening catalogs with all of the funky plants in them. I was surprised to see that one of the plants they offered was hops. Too bad they didn't say what kind they were. They had free shipping or some other cool offer like that.

Don't think it's too late. I ordered my rhizomes form hopsdirect last Sunday and got em 4 days later. I'll be planting this weekend as well. 1st ever & will be interested to see if they do squat in the desert. Give enough water and fertilizer you can grow a fair amount here. But can they handle mid-day heat... I also question the darn cutter ants down here that can prune a tree to notta in an evening. If they like hops, I'm probably screwed.

I got mine on Wednesday. This weekend I am going to find the perfect place to plant it. I only got one, because I am not sure how well it will grow here, but if all is well I will add more next year. I got Glacier myself.

I thought you have until May to get them in the ground.

RichBrewer said:
Dude! You have been brewing for a little over a year. I get this feeling you have taken to the hobby. I've been doing it for ten years and you have me beat by a mile!:rockin:

I totally respect you for sticking with it that long.

I forgot your specs...how long did it take you to go AG?

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Any suggestion on what to order for someone who's into IPA's?

OK gets quite warm as well. I ordered Cascade and Nugget which supposedly is more "heat hardy". Cascades a good staple for late editions and dry hopping the IPA, nugget is more for bittering I believe.

desertBrew said:
OK gets quite warm as well. I ordered Cascade and Nugget which supposedly is more "heat hardy". Cascades a good staple for late editions and dry hopping the IPA, nugget is more for bittering I believe.

I think I'll try some Cascade. The website says they're the easiest.

IPA? The three C's Cascades, Chinook & Columbus. If you can't get Columbus, Northern Brewer.

It's not too late to order, but don't by gardening hops. Go to freshops or hops direct. Do it now!

Mine have just sprouted, so I guess it's time to crank up the Earthquake and set some poles.

Dude said:
I totally respect you for sticking with it that long.

I forgot your specs...how long did it take you to go AG?
I went all grain after about 6 or 7 months of extract. It made good beer but I just wanted to be more involved. Been doing AG for almost 10 years now.
I took a three year break mainly because of 911 and Iraqi Freedom. But I'm back in force since January.

Sprouts!

I was getting kind of concerned with the lack of activity from my hops plants, considering the nice weather we've had recently.

The Santiam rhizome that I planted a couple weeks back was the only plant sprouting. However today I noticed one of the transplanted (from a pot) roots from last year's plants, the Mt. Hood, has two sprouts now.

Still waiting on the Horizon, Cascade, Chinook, Northern Brewer and Glaciers to get going. I'll bet this week they all sprout up.

:ban:

I got sprouts as well. Planted two weeks ago and the cascade is about 6" high already. Nugget just popped out.

Glacier, Horizon and Cascade popped through! I'm just waiting on the Northern Brewer (transplanted 2005 rhizome) and the 2006 Chinook. Funny, these are the two I expected the most vigorous growth from. :rolleyes:

Rechecked the hop garden yesterday when I planted the 4 new rhisomes...now I have 3 sprouting. One is already 5 inches tall. The new ones make it 7.

I'm leaving for 3 weeks in the morning. I hope to get a good surprise when I return...:D

Back