High Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominator6

Reaction score
So I know that i took my SG at the wrong time but I'm trying to see if this is normal. I pitched my yeast/starter and added up to 5 gal total. My SG is 1.126-1.128? I added 1lb candi sugar but not sure that it will make THAT much of a difference. I know that people here use beersmith and other calculators to figure this out but wanted to see which one is best or get some advice. Any help is appreciated!

I know....DWRHAHB! It'll be drank but want to see if I just took it at the wrong time or it's the candi sugar or both>

Tyler

There's no way to even guess unless you add a recipe, or at least a short description. If this is an extract batch, how many pounds of total extract did you add? How much water?

It's pretty common for OG to read off on beginners' extract brews, due to incomplete mixing with top-off water. You should get a fine estimate of OG from your total extract (and partial mash, if done).

2lbs Light DME
3lbs Wheat DME
Witbier Yeast propagator w/1qt starter
1lb belgian candi sugar(expirement)
1oz hops
I boiled 3gals and boiled out roughly 1/2 gal. Topped off to 5 gals and pitched yeast at 75degrees.

What program do you use to add a recipe to figure it out? My SG according to the recipe(which i didn't follow due to candi sugar) says 1.043 - 1.047. I know that the yeast and starter along w/the candi sugar adds but wondering if it adds that much.

I'm from the Springs, GO COLORADO!

I use Beersmith. (Yeast doesn't add anything to the SG, and the starter itself is negligible). When I run that recipe, I get 1.051. 5 pounds extract equals about 1.044 and the candy sugar adds 6 points for 5 gallons.

Beersmith (the brewing software I use) predicts 1.051 OG (for 5 gallons even) prior to the yeast pitch.

For extract brewing, boil-off does not really matter, just the total sugars and the volume.

Enjoy your witbier. I've got one finishing up its ferment in the basement right now.

[Ed. Yooper beat me to it. Trying to rub in the collapse of the Avs in game 4? :) ]

But would that sugar add THAT much to it? That puzzles me. My friends nut brown ale that he did, he added 1lb candi sugar and it was 1.054 and that was STRONG. Is 1lb going to add that much?

Latest posts

Back