Sparging with Wort???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Hey all -

I was reading a blog that was talking about "sparging a second mash with wort from a first mash to increase the OG, but keep the wort volume down". Is this a viable option?

Here's why I ask. I currently run a countertop PM setup with a 2 gallon cooler and a 4 gallon brew kettle. I'm trying to incorporate more grain-use into my beers without purchasing new equipment. The post that I read (which referenced a BYO article, but had no link) suggested the following process for all grain. I will attempt to adjust for PM with my equipment.

-Mash 4 lbs (max for my cooler) at specified temp w/ 5.5 qts. of water for 45 minutes.
-Batch Sparge with about 5 qts. water at specified temp.
-Remove spent grains and add in second 4 lb of grain to MLT and add 5.5 qts or water. Rest for specified time.
-Batch Sparge with wort from original runnings.
-This should be 4 gallons of liquid, which won't fit into my one pot, but I'll deal with that later.

I guess the real question is 2 parts . . .

Is this a viable way to increase the OG of your wort and not significantly increase the boil volume?

How would you calculate the potential OG in a system such as this?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

-Dave

To figure your OG in a setup like that it's exactly the same method as any system. Take a reading SG of your preboil and X by the pre boil amount ,then divide by your intended finish volume. ex: 1.055 SG x 7.5 gal preboil vol, divided by 5.5 finished vol = 55x7.5=412.5 div 5.5=1.075 OG. This is just an example of a good way to figure your OG on the fly.
Cheers, Gabe

gabe said:
To figure your OG in a setup like that it's exactly the same method as any system. Take a reading SG of your preboil and X by the pre boil amount ,then divide by your intended finish volume. ex: 1.055 SG x 7.5 gal preboil vol, divided by 5.5 finished vol = 55x7.5=412.5 div 5.5=1.075 OG. This is just an example of a good way to figure your OG on the fly.
Cheers, Gabe

You just blew my mind with numbers!:rockin:

I just found a thread concering reiterative mashing. Looks like I should try and listen to the podcast and go from there. I don't know if it'd be worth all the trouble in a PM situation to get a few more points out of four more pounds of grain. Guess I need to upgrade the system.

AG here I come.

Thanks, all.

I'm not sold on using two separate mashes for a single wort. I understand the benefit is high gravity without the need to boil off as much. I also know boiling down takes time and energy cost. I just wonder if a better method is a moderate boil down from a single mash and sparge with a small DME addition.

Reiterative mashing takes at least the same time as an extra 60 minute boil down and you're milling twice the grain and cleanint out the MLT twice (a task I hate).

I'm sorta in the same boat as the OP here. I wanted to go all grain to reduce input costs for my beer but i just dont have the room for all the new equipment in my tiny apartment.

So what i did was brew based on a 3 gal AG recipe grain bill, add normal hop schedules for 5 gal batch, and then i'v been doing a late dme addition to get up to the 5gal OG. Then i top off with water in my primary.

Its a bit of extra work to save a couple bucks, but it's also good practice for when i can actually do a full AG.

Chello said:
I'm sorta in the same boat as the OP here. I wanted to go all grain to reduce input costs for my beer but i just dont have the room for all the new equipment in my tiny apartment.

So what i did was brew based on a 3 gal AG recipe grain bill, add normal hop schedules for 5 gal batch, and then i'v been doing a late dme addition to get up to the 5gal OG. Then i top off with water in my primary.

Its a bit of extra work to save a couple bucks, but it's also good practice for when i can actually do a full AG.

Here's the method I use:

Countertop Partial Mash from BYO.

Its an easy way to get into PM, and it'll cost you less than $10 for the "MLT" with no modification. It works really well. The only issue is the small amount of grain that I can use (4 lbs), which is the reason I'm interested in reiterative mashing.

Here's a thought. . . What about "mashing" only base grain (4 lbs of pale or whatever), then taking the runnings of that (about 3 gallons after batch sparging) and steeping the specialty grains in it. This could work.

Example:

Let's say you're making an amber ale from an extract recipe, which calls for crystal 60 (.5lb) and some victory malt (.5lb).

The victory needs mashed, the crystal doesn't. So, using the above idea and the processes put forth by the article (4lbs of grain total in the mash tun), the grain bill would look like this.

3.5 lb Pale Malt
.5 lb Victory

Mash above grains at 147F for 45 minutes (5.5 qts.), batch sparge (5 qt), top off with water to 3 gallons. Then, steep the .5 lb of crystal in that.

Boil as normal with late DME addition.

Bob's your uncle, or so I think.

Anyone see any falts with the above idea.

Oh, and sorry if it reads a bit choppy. Trying to get some work done while writing this.

Cheers -

Back