starting to branch out and try making my own recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djamp1983

Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post on here. I've been brewing mead for a few years. My old brewing partner is my ex wife's brother-in-law, so i've had to go solo for the past year. So far, i've only done some of the recipes i found on this site, and had some good results.

I want to try and make my own recipe, and need some input on ingredients. The flavor i want to go for is french toast. I can get raw wild flower honey from a local brewing supply store. Given the time of year here in Michigan, there aren't many options for honey. But, i want the spices added to provide a lot of the flavor anyway. So far, i've figured 15 lbs. of honey, two vanilla beans, once cinnamon stick, and and undecided amount of maple syrup.

I want to add something to get the salty taste from soaking the delicious breakfast food with butter, but am having a tough time figuring out what to use. This is where i could use the most input, as well as recommendations for how much syrup to use.

I don't have any suggestions except that yeast doesn't like salt and tends to retard it's activity.

But, i'm hoping for something a bit closer in flavor to actual butter.

What about melting down some hard Werther's candies, or butterscotch candy? Or dropping into secondary where the alcohol should eventually dissolve? Or covering with just enough pure grain and make an extract?

What about melting down some hard Werther's candies, or butterscotch candy? Or dropping into secondary where the alcohol should eventually dissolve? Or covering with just enough pure grain and make an extract?

i like the idea of some worthers a lot. That even sparked an idea, i could just add some butter shots to the secondary. I think that's the route i'm going to take. Thank you for your help.

Now, any suggestions on how much syrup to use?

i like the idea of some worthers a lot. That even sparked an idea, i could just add some butter shots to the secondary. I think that's the route i'm going to take. Thank you for your help.

Now, any suggestions on how much syrup to use?

If you mean butterscotch schnapps, I would hold off until the wine is clear and stable, and then do some trials to find out how much to add...so not to lose the layers of flavor that you hopefully end with.

Latest posts

Back