Star Trek or Star Wars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These... kits...aren't going.....to sell....themselves.

ForumRunner_20120906_025023.jpg

Remember that episode where Spock came through the transporter with an evil twin? I think it was called, "DOPPLESPOCK"...

If they had craft beer on the Enterprise, Jean-Luc Pickard would order an, "Oberon, Cold, No Fruit."

Scotty: "I'm sorry Captain. I cannot repair the warp drive now. I have to repair the phase inverter on the Therminator first!"

Someone should brew a "Red Shirt Red" in honor of all of those brave young actors who gave their lives in setting up the plot line!

Bones: "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a microbiologist! Maybe you pitched too warm!"

Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's 5 year mission to..
Psst! We only have enough beer for 3 years!
It's 3 YEAR MISSION to seek out strange new life and...

Homercidal said:
Remember that episode where Spock came through the transporter with an evil twin? I think it was called, "DOPPLESPOCK"...

If they had craft beer on the Enterprise, Jean-Luc Pickard would order an, "Oberon, Cold, No Fruit."

Scotty: "I'm sorry Captain. I cannot repair the warp drive now. I have to repair the phase inverter on the Therminator first!"

Someone should brew a "Red Shirt Red" in honor of all of those brave young actors who gave their lives in setting up the plot line!

Bones: "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a microbiologist! Maybe you pitched too warm!"

Space. The final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. It's 5 year mission to..

Maybe they could ferment some of that alleged space sugar

Homercidal said:

DoppleSpock Bock
"Set your phasers to stun!" Saison...
Even better yet: "Set your phasers to STOUT"

I honestly can't take a side on the trek v wars argument because I loved the original sw trilogy and grew up watching TNG, but I do get offended when people mix them up.
Also, swmbo actually wants to watch the movies because I have and she hasn't.

Original Star Trek although I am a big fan of episodes IV - VI of Star Wars and in the final moments of episode III when the Emporer says "Arise Lord Vador" and you hear the first breath.
Also huge Firefly/Serenity addict.

Subsailor said:
Original Star Trek although I am a big fan of episodes IV - VI of Star Wars and in the final moments of episode III when the Emporer says "Arise Lord Vador" and you hear the first breath.
Also huge Firefly/Serenity addict.

My biggest gripe about episodes 1-3 were about how the character of Darth vader never really emerged. Sure he killed kids, but I never felt like it was a plausible thing anyway. Oh I'm angry because I can't have love! I'm going to go murder a whole bunch of children that I probably know! And then later I'll just be a well adjusted though evil adult bent on ruling the galaxy instead of finding eternal life

Erroneous said:
My biggest gripe about episodes 1-3 were about how the character of Darth vader never really emerged. Sure he killed kids, but I never felt like it was a plausible thing anyway. Oh I'm angry because I can't have love! I'm going to go murder a whole bunch of children that I probably know! And then later I'll just be a well adjusted though evil adult bent on ruling the galaxy instead of finding eternal life

Anakin was such a little whiner baby in II an III it was painful to watch. Very un-Vaderlike. There's no way that guy would have scored with Natalie Portman in real life.

bottlebomber said:
Anakin was such a little whiner baby in II an III it was painful to watch. Very un-Vaderlike. There's no way that guy would have scored with Natalie Portman in real life.

Ha ha that's so true. Plus, this thread has made me realize why I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars. Anakin can mow down a bunch of little kids, but has an easy change of heart at the end? Plus, the lightsaber battles were incredible in the newer (prequel) versions, and when you watch the originals, they just seemed geriatric.

It's because when too much is digital it just gets boring. Sure it takes talent but much of it is just too perfect. Look at death of Obiwan. Not a ton of flashy well choreographed swordplay, just what you'd expect from an old hermit war hero.

But then trek doesn't even have saber battles. Or great action sequences. Much more drama and sci-fi driven than action.

Erroneous said:
It's because when too much is digital it just gets boring. Sure it takes talent but much of it is just too perfect. Look at death of Obiwan. Not a ton of flashy well choreographed swordplay, just what you'd expect from an old hermit war hero.

But then trek doesn't even have saber battles. Or great action sequences. Much more drama and sci-fi driven than action.

I doubt he'd disagree. That's why the prequels sucked. Good action is useless without solid storytelling, though the latter can shine just as much without the former. Maybe they would have been more well-received 10 years earlier during the golden age of dumb action flicks.

snyklez said:
Ha ha that's so true. Plus, this thread has made me realize why I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars. Anakin can mow down a bunch of little kids, but has an easy change of heart at the end? Plus, the lightsaber battles were incredible in the newer (prequel) versions, and when you watch the originals, they just seemed geriatric.

True, the light saber duels were a little tame compared to Darth Mauls ninja skills.. But you have to figure it was WAY before its time on all accounts. Movies just weren't as intense in the 70's, and those first 3 movies set the bench mark for special effects that are still highly relevant in today's cinema. The use of camera effects, lighting, and models was nothing short of genius. In fact, this thread has got me thinking I need to do a SW marathon with my boys. I doubt if any but the eldest can even remember watching them.

emjay said:
I still haven't watched ep. III

Skip it, trust me...you will not regret it. If you can find a cliff notes version on YouTube, you won't feel like your time was wasted, IMO

tchamber said:
Sort of off-topic, but Happy 46th Birthday, Star Trek :D

Yeah, the google doodle pays homage to the event. Evidently it's pretty cool, but my stupid company won't upgrade from ie8.

I still haven't watched ep. III

Skip it, trust me...you will not regret it. If you can find a cliff notes version on YouTube, you won't feel like your time was wasted, IMO

It was better than I or II. Worth watching for the opening sequence and lightsaber battles. Turn it to karaoke-style, with no words, just music & sound effects, pretty good.

It was better than I or II. Worth watching for the opening sequence and lightsaber battles. Turn it to karaoke-style, with no words, just music & sound effects, pretty good.

The long single-shot battle sequence at the beginning is one of the best CGI sequences ever.

I love them both but without Roddenberry's vision Lucus may have stuck to making movies like American Graffiti. Which I not not knocking, great up and coming cast.

I like them both. As I like both apples and oranges.

Of the Star Trek series I liked Enterprise only the first season. Then they got stuck in the enemy from the future crap and it went downhill in a crash!

Oh man... don't... make... me... choose! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Both universes have participated in awesomeness. Both universes have been disgraced by their creators.

For largest body of awesomness, I would have to give Star Trek the vote because both the og and next generation were long running and excellent. For closest to my heart, the vote would have to go to Star Wars because I love it enough to ignore the damage done to it by the new trilogy and the ongoing disgrace being done to it in the Old Republic MMO game.

Star Wars (original trilogy) by far. I'm pretty sure the Force is how wort becomes beer.

And to the gentlemen discussing RPGs. Mass Effect was the greatest. Dragon Age was good. If you love classic bioware games, play The Witcher 2! Different company but same badassery.

Star Wars (original trilogy) by far. I'm pretty sure the Force is how wort becomes beer.

And to the gentlemen discussing RPGs. Mass Effect was the greatest. Dragon Age was good. If you love classic bioware games, play The Witcher 2! Different company but same badassery.

Witcher 2 was possibly one of the best I've played in a long time, between the DA series and it, man, I don't know...
Never played ME series, but I've never liked FPS, which was why I never got into the series. I should probably do that. Currently though I am working through replaying all my existing games cause I lost all my save data, so recreating it. hehe.

landshark said:
Witcher 2 was possibly one of the best I've played in a long time, between the DA series and it, man, I don't know...
Never played ME series, but I've never liked FPS, which was why I never got into the series. I should probably do that. Currently though I am working through replaying all my existing games cause I lost all my save data, so recreating it. hehe.

1. ME was third person...
2. Isn't replaying all those half the fun of keeping them.

ME2 was so much more than a FPS... Honestly, and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm having a really hard time keeping interested with ME3. It just doesn't seem to have the more relaxed "check things out" pace of 2, almost like they're trying to rush you to the finish line. I got 12 hours in and haven't played in awhile.

bottlebomber said:
ME2 was so much more than a FPS... Honestly, and I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm having a really hard time keeping interested with ME3. It just doesn't seem to have the more relaxed "check things out" pace of 2, almost like they're trying to rush you to the finish line. I got 12 hours in and haven't played in awhile.

I felt the same exact way. The first 2 were perfect games. The 3rd one had some great moments but it just wasn't the same.

Landshark: you'll be able to get the entire mass effect trilogy in one collection on November 7.

bottlebomber said:

That sucks. The relaxed, retro-scifi feel of the game was a large part of its awesomeness. Still haven't played ME3. You played the original?

emjay said:
That sucks. The relaxed, retro-scifi feel of the game was a large part of its awesomeness. Still haven't played ME3. You played the original?

I haven't played the first one as I only have a PS3. And yes, I'm leaning more toward it sucks myself. I am literally going to have to force myself to play it again, and hope it grabs.

bottlebomber said:
I haven't played the first one as I only have a PS3.

I figured that might be the case but for some reason I thought you were an Xbox guy. Honestly, the series is best played on the PC anyways.

And I'm not sure if they've released it yet, but I seem to remember a ME1 port was in development for the PS3 (after 3 came out). But part of the coolness is playing it in the right order all on the same system, so that your save file carries through all 3 games and you end up with your own (quasi-) unique story.

emjay said:
I figured that might be the case but for some reason I thought you were an Xbox guy. Honestly, the series is best played on the PC anyways.

And I'm not sure if they've released it yet, but I seem to remember a ME1 port was in development for the PS3 (after 3 came out). But part of the coolness is playing it in the right order all on the same system, so that your save file carries through all 3 games and you end up with your own (quasi-) unique story.

See, there's that need to profile... ;) I'm kidding.
Actually the more I think about it the more disappointed I am because actually I didn't think ME really stood up on its merits as a FPS. The controls are sort of clunky compared to, say, Uncharted3 (which may be emulating the controls of some other game FAIK), the AI are kind of retarded, and the maneuverability is cramped (I hate it when you can only jump at a "jumping spot" etc.). That cool dreamy scifi feel was its everything. Wandering around the Citadel in the second game was awesome, staking out Samaras daughter in the club and following her back to the apartment was one of the most surreal moments in any game I've played. It remains the only game ever that I finished and started again immediately. I just can't see 3 delivering that at this point... Sorry I'm tearing up now... I think there's an Occupy Bioware movement from this.

Back