First Batch - Someone want to check the homework?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smythe012

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I’m getting ready to try my first two batches of cider, and I figured I would post the two concepts on here with as much detail as possible to see if you all could help check my homework. I’m working with (2) 3 gallon batches, so here goes:

Batch A:
3 gallons 100% Unfiltered Organic Apple Cider
1 packet (5g) Red Star Champagne yeast
9 fl oz 100% Apple Juice Concentrate
3 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Batch B:
3 gallons 100% Apple juice
1 packet (5g) Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast
1 lb Honey
3 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Initial Notes:
*Looking for an ABV for both batches right around 5%
*Fermentation will occur in refrigerator at 66 degrees F
*I’m passing on the pectic enzymes this go around to see the difference in cloudiness between the two batches
*Sanitizing the bejezus out of everything with Star San, both batches going in 5 gallon carboys

Batch Processes:
1. Mix Cider, and juice concentrate (or honey) in carboy, take sample and measure original gravity
2. Incorporate yeast nutrient and pitch yeast
3. Leave in primary for 2 weeks, then rack both to secondary carboys (taste test direct from primary, as well as check SG)
4. Sit in secondary for additional week before bottling
5. Measure FG to confirm ABV

Bottling
Assuming I’ll have approximately 2.5 gallons remaining from each batch, here’s what I’m thinking:
(8) 12 oz flip top bottles + dextrose (3/8 tsp per bottle) for a dry, carbonated cider
(8) 12 oz flip top bottles + dextrose and xylitol (per bottle) for a back sweetened, carbonated cider
½ gallon still, dry cider
½ gallon still, sweetened w/ xylitol

Notes/ Questions:
Campden: Primary purpose is to kill wild yeasties and bacteria. Not required, not planning on using.
Cold Crash: This is only to make the yeasties go dormant and drop out of suspension right? I feel like this won’t pertain
Bottle Pasteurization: Here’s a big one. Do I need to pasteurize at all? If the cider/ juice is, and I disinfect everything beforehand, do I need to do anything once they’re bottled?
Xylitol: Should I add this to each 12 oz. bottle individually or mix it into the batch then bottle? Also, any idea how much? I’m looking for a Magners/Strongbow level of sweetness, not Woodchuck.

Is there anything I’m missing? Suggestions?

The purpose of doing so many varieties is to see how each batch, and each variety within each batch, does over time. It seemed like it could be a lot of fun opening one bottle every two weeks to a month to see how they mature.

Thanks for reading, not sure if that’s a load or not enough info. I’m planning on starting these batches Saturday.

Notes/ Questions:
Campden: Primary purpose is to kill wild yeasties and bacteria. Not required, not planning on using.
Cold Crash: This is only to make the yeasties go dormant and drop out of suspension right? I feel like this won’t pertain
Bottle Pasteurization: Here’s a big one. Do I need to pasteurize at all? If the cider/ juice is, and I disinfect everything beforehand, do I need to do anything once they’re bottled?
Xylitol: Should I add this to each 12 oz. bottle individually or mix it into the batch then bottle? Also, any idea how much? I’m looking for a Magners/Strongbow level of sweetness, not Woodchuck.

Cold crashing and pasteurization will accomplish the same thing. Pasterization will kill the yeast off while cold crashing will only make them go dormant.

Re: Xylitol - add to the whole batch - that way you will get an even mix. When you rack over to your bottling container, put the xlitol in first (boiled in a bit of water to help dissolve) and then rack your cider on top of it. This will help mix it without you having to do it by hand

Updates:

Needed to make revisions to the batches once I started adding all the ingredients:

Batch A:
I added 2 cans (24 oz) of Old Orchard Apple Juice concentrate instead of the 9 oz. in order to get the OG up to 1.054.

I ended up only adding 1 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient. I read a few things that said adding too much can change the flavor of the cider, so I leaned on the side of paranoia.

Batch B:
*I heated up 1 lb of honey using a double boiler system (boil water in a pot, place glass bowl over top to heat honey). That way I only had to add a few tbsp of water to make it blend easily with the juice. OG was also 1.054.

Both 3 gallon batches are in a refrigerator in the basement, gurgling away at 68 degrees. The airlocks aren't going crazy or anything, but it all seems to be going okay.

I'm going to wait a week before I taste and test its SG.

So far so good (I think).

2gwzujp.jpg

Back