Bottle Caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjmadden08

Reaction score
getting ready to bottle my first batch tomorrow and just wondering what the best way to prepare the bottle caps is? Should i boil them in water or just let them soak in sanitizer?

Also, i read that you should leave the caps on the bottle loosely for about 15 mins. before sealing them (i forget what the reasoning was) , but is this the way it should be done?

Thanks

I wouldn't boil them, I'd be afraid of damaging the seal. Soaking them in sanitizer should be fine.

Some people theorize that any residual CO2 that might be in solution (or, less likely, some newly created from the priming sugar) will rise to the surface and push out the O2 from the top of the bottle. Letting the caps sit loose will allow the O2 to escape, as CO2 is heavier and will sit lower in it. It's a strong theory, and probably has some merit.

I typically fill all the bottles and leave them capped but unsealed until I'm finished filling... until I hit the 2 - 3 year mark with bottles, I rarely notice any off flavors, and that's probably not the O2. Many people fill and cap immediately. I avoid this only because it takes so much longer.

kvh

Either one. I used to boil them, but after I started using Iodophor, I just soaked them it that.

I just place my caps atop the bottle when I actually go to bottle. I don't let them sit while waiting. I think that would be too much of a hassle.

I've done both, boiling and using sanitizing solution. If you can bribe someone with a couple beers to help you, it'll cut your time in half at least.

Rich the Brewer said:
I just pull them out of the bag and use them. Are you supposed to sanitize them?

there is a chance they might introduce some nastys if they arn't sanitized. I usually just chuck my caps into the bucket i'm sanitizing my bottles/racking cane/bottling bucket in.

I've always boiled 'em....because they said to when I first started and it makes sense. Boil off any critters that might sabotage my hard work. Why screw with a good thing?

My LHBS buys overrun caps in bulk(70 pound box) and repackages them by hand in 1 pound bags. I most certainly would sanitize.

Back