Alternative Grain Beer Red Eye Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days
Tasting Notes
Big hop aroma, hop-forward but plenty of rye malt character, VERY sessionable
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.33 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 16.58 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.29 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.15 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.15 %
0.06 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 0.50 %
0.40 oz Magnum [13.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.5 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.70 %] (60 min) (First Wort HoHops 19.7 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (15 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
0.60 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [10.90 %] (5 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.70 %] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

In 3 years of homebrewing, I have never wanted to post one of my recipes...until now. I read that Wyeast 1272 really brings out the best in rye and everybody who has used it is right. The rye character in this beer is just about perfect. I used small amounts of Columbus and Chinook and a more generous helping of Glacier to really emphasize spice and herb... the result is a VERY drinkable rye beer at only 4.5% with much of the hop flavor of a RyePA.

I've got more information on brew day and tasting notes over at my blog... I tried this with a deep fried pork belly the other night. Fantastic. Highly recommend.

Thanks for sharing this... I was looking for a Red Rye to brew up for St. Patty's day and keg for the first time ever. This seems like the perfect one to brew...

Edit: Yes, I realize this isn't Irish, but no one has to know... ;)

Well, I'm guilty of a "beginner" move here. I fermented this for two weeks and then cold crashed the primary for 2 days in the upper 30's to drop some of the yeast out of suspension. I then carbed it for a week in my fridge at 38 degrees and drank it. It is GOOD! The first couple glasses were hoppy, probably because I sucked up some of the hops particles that may have been in suspension that sank to the bottom of the keg. HOLY BEER HEAD batman! I carbed and am serving this at 7 psi, which I don't think is too much, and it maintains a head and NICE lacing on the glass from start to finish. This on is on the "re-brew" list for sure! Next time, I'll be more patient and primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 2, and then keg and wait some more. I really want to try this beer though, AND try out my new kegging stuff! If you like a crisp, lightly hopped rye ale, this beer is for you!

Back