Is there a doctor in the house? I'm pretty sure I have my first infection..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
2011-11-24165421.jpg

I did a pumpkin ale, used a harvested notti for the yeast. It was only 2 gallons so I used my gooood old mr beer keg. Took a look today and it's clearly infected - note the mid/bottom part of the photo where the light was reflecting, you can see between the rafts.

Towards the back where I couldnt get a picture due to the angle, it's white and webbed, only the surface. This was brewed weeks ago, fermentation is well completed, no way this is just yeast rafts.

From what I've read I think this is a "lacto" infection. Here's my question: If I rack off it and bottle, can it be saved? It clearly smells like beer but stings the nose slightly, co2 is a candidate for that but the infection could also.

I'm not too concerned if I have to dump it, I'm incredibly anal about sanitation though so I dont know how this crept in on me, only thing I can factor was the type of yeast harvest - it was my first time washing a cake...

Yay or nay?

Happy Thanksgiving HBT!

It looks like yeast rafts to me. Quit worrying, you really can't do too much about it now. Give it more time to see if you really do have an infection before you get carried away.

It looks like yeast rafts to me. Quit worrying, you really can't do too much about it now. Give it more time to see if you really do have an infection before you get carried away.

Same. Too early to tell really but I wouldn't rack it and chance getting bacteria on your equipment.

In a Mr. beer keg, sanitize the spigot and leave that stuff behind if you feel you must transfer it to another container. How does it taste, smell ?:confused:

Guys, I appreciate the RDWHAHB, but this isn't my first batch, I've got a lot under my belt, I've encountered yeast rafts, natural fernentation, lots of things - I wouldn't post an infection topic unless I'm feeling something seriously wrong and there is, which is a first got me. I can't get the correct angle of picture, i'll try again, but white camouflage spider webs and spots like these, it is not right, it's not the common yeast raft - I wish it was, yeast are my hero, somethings up...

PP, I'll rack off tomorrow and we'll see...

Don't get me wrong fellas, I appreciate the replies, I love the calm setting nature of this forum. I'm infected, whether to save or dump is the decision..

I very carefully racked about 1.25 gallons worth into a jug, dumped the rest - I didn't disturb the film on top so hopefully it won't carry over.

I wish I would have taken a picture, it looked like white leopard skin and webs this morning lol. Gross but fascinating.

Good news is it smelled good, the racked portion - looked great, tasted like uncarbed beer. Guess we'll wait and see.

i don't think they look like yeast rafts either. i also don't think that racking will fix the infection (just my guess)i would definately let it ride though. you already did the work, might as well see how it ends up.

Back