Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dayton. I went to Newport Music Hall in Columbus a lot too. I'll be back in Ohio for a wedding at the end of this month. I'm making a special trip to Columbus to get some Founders brews.

As far as "classic" punk goes, I like the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Black Flag and Misfits.

For hardcore, I like Dayglo Abortions, (early) Suicidal Tendencies and Cro-Mags

His son used to hang out at my old job when I lived up in Jersey (don't ask me why, I have no idea). Never met the dad, but the son is even more of a ****** than the father is reported to be...

Classic doesn't always mean good. I can tolerate Last Caress. But that's their only decent song IMHO. I had the chorus from Where Eagles Dare stuck in my head for days, and was actually happy when that earworm was kicked out by Katy Perry. Yeah, I said it. Katy Perry = better than the Misfits.

Haha. I have to respectfully disagree with you. I guess maybe it's because I grew up with the misfits. Lots of memories riding ramps with Glen wailing in the background.

There's pretty much no questions he's a turd. His arrogant snobbery is well documented.

People like em. That's fine. But I group them in the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. Iconic? Sure. Classic? Sure. Doesn't mean I have to like their music, or that it's necessarily any good.

One of my favorite memories was at an Exploited show. Got up on stage and sang sex and violence with the band. Then jumped into the crowd. Would probably kill someone if I did that today.

danza.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zfD7agP1yxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was gonna write about something completely different, but instead I'll just post some more or less raw swedish ****.

Lyrics:
A patched german shepherd that barely can stand, you f***** w**** how will it end?
Can you bring your crust dog to heaven? Can you bring the crust dog when you die?
Or does the punks best friend have to wait outside?

Last edited by a moderator:
To get some discussion going, how open are you guys to new bands?
Personally I tend to feel "done" with a genre after a while and stop looking for new bands.
About one and a half - two years ago I'd go to as many concerts of "relevant" styles but these days I only go if there's a band, I know from before and, I wanna see and perhaps an opening act will be a nice surprise but I don't really have the same interest as before.
I'm not quite sure if it's because I decided to broaden my music taste, or if I'm getting "old" if it's the latter then it sure sucks since I'm only 23...

edit: an example
NYHC, Madball and Agnostic Front is enough for me, when I'm in the mood for that I'll just put on Set it Off or such and I feel satisfied, something I haven't heard just feels like "meh, madball already did it".

I'm always on the lookout for new music. As far as shows go though, I don't really go to many shows anymore. The last show I really looked forward to that I actually went to was Comeback Kid back in '09.

Shift said:
To get some discussion going, how open are you guys to new bands?
Personally I tend to feel "done" with a genre after a while and stop looking for new bands.
About one and a half - two years ago I'd go to as many concerts of "relevant" styles but these days I only go if there's a band, I know from before and, I wanna see and perhaps an opening act will be a nice surprise but I don't really have the same interest as before.
I'm not quite sure if it's because I decided to broaden my music taste, or if I'm getting "old" if it's the latter then it sure sucks since I'm only 23...

edit: an example
NYHC, Madball and Agnostic Front is enough for me, when I'm in the mood for that I'll just put on Set it Off or such and I feel satisfied, something I haven't heard just feels like "meh, madball already did it".

I feel the same way sometimes but it seems like if I start looking hard enough I always find something good and fresh, sometimes exceptional. Don't really keep up with the punk scene, but with metal there always seems to be enough good obscure bands around to keep things real, or at least lately... I think it's a real good time to be a metalhead! Sorry if I got off topic and please don't get me wrong, I love me some punk music!

I feel the same way sometimes but it seems like if I start looking hard enough I always find something good and fresh, sometimes exceptional. Don't really keep up with the punk scene, but with metal there always seems to be enough good obscure bands around to keep things real, or at least lately... I think it's a real good time to be a metalhead! Sorry if I got off topic and please don't get me wrong, I love me some punk music!

Don't sweat it, man. You're good.

Hmmm I'm getting old, for me punk is the old school stuff, the new school is just not as good, hardcore...that was something we used to dance to with a headful of "E".

In my day.......

Descendents and Kid Dynamite played at FYF in LA a few weeks ago and we went up for it. Both bands totally ruled, but I honestly would've paid the $40 just to see Descendents. Those guys are still relevant and put on twice the show that most bands in their 20's do. I honestly haven't been impressed with many punk/hardcore bands in the last 5 or 6 years, but the late 90s/early 2000's had so many great acts touring I guess the scene is due for some down time. Just my two cents.

BTW, life sucks ever since AVAIL stopped playing. I will drop everything and fly home for the night if they ever do a "last show"!

Descendents and Kid Dynamite played at FYF in LA a few weeks ago and we went up for it. Both bands totally ruled, but I honestly would've paid the $40 just to see Descendents. Those guys are still relevant and put on twice the show that most bands in their 20's do. I honestly haven't been impressed with many punk/hardcore bands in the last 5 or 6 years, but the late 90s/early 2000's had so many great acts touring I guess the scene is due for some down time. Just my two cents.

BTW, life sucks ever since AVAIL stopped playing. I will drop everything and fly home for the night if they ever do a "last show"!

I love Avail.

Back