IPA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexicanconnection2002

Reaction score
Brewing an IPA this afternoon...any suggestions for hop schedule?

7 1/2 lb Briess DME Golden Light
1 1/2 lb Vienna Malt
1/2 lb Briess Special Roast

have the follwing hops on hand:
6 oz Centennial
4 oz Columbus
6 oz Amarillo
8 oz Simcoe
6 oz Cascade
12 oz Nelson Sauvin
12 oz Galaxy

plenty of the following:
Ahtanum
Chinook
Bravo
Magnum
Galena

Thanks for any suggestions! :mug:

I just finished an IPA using Simcoe and it turned out amazing

60 min= 1.5oz
18 min= .5oz
15 min= .5oz
12 min= .5oz
Flame out = 1oz

Wyeast Pacific Nortwest

Primary for 5 days
Dry Hop in secondary for 14 days 2oz

Thanks man! Wanted to use more than just a single hop though. I have a couple of IPA's already with Simcoe (love it) in the mix. Any other suggestions?

Lots of good American hops there! Don't have my software at work, but here's an idea:

Chinook for bittering at 60 minutes, 1-2 oz depending on how many IBU's you want

Amarillo, Simcoe and Cascade for flavor and aroma - about 1 to 1.5 oz each. Split evenly at 20, 10 and 1 minute.

About an ounce of each of the above for dry-hopping for 7 days.

Good Luck!

Yeah, keep the American varities on hand since do mostly Pale Ale's and IPA's.

Will plug some numbers in Hopville to see what i can come up with. Looks good though. Thanks!

Ended up going with the following:
FWH .25 Chinook
60 min .50 Chinook
10 min .50 Amarillo, Cascade and Simcoe
5 min same as 10
1 min same as 10
Dryhop in keg 1.0 oz Amarillo, Cascade and Simcoe

That looks pretty tasty.:mug: I need to brew another IPA soon and I may base it on that recipe. Why did you skip any additions in the 15-20 minute range?

Only because I used the Chinook as my FHW which I would have used as a 20 min addition. Came in @ 55 IBU and should be pretty balanced. Thanks again for your suggestions. Will let you know how it comes out.

That hop schedule looks great, I wouldn't change a thing. With all the heavy hops at the end, I don't see a need for a 15 or 20 min addition. Just brew it =)

Already brewed it!!!! Brewed yesterday afternoon. Smelled great and can't wait to dryhop in the keg. Gonna suspend it about half way in the keg, so once beer goes down far enough, the rest of the "hop juice" drains back into the keg instead of the hops stealing their share.

Back