Over shot steeping temp on specialty grain - can I still harvest yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I know that is random subject but lets try anyway. I accidentally over shot my steeping temp for my latest brew which was an extract w/specialty grains. The temp hit about 180 in the pot before I caught it. I immediately iced it and cooled it off, so the grains were only over heated for 5 mins or so if that.

I have resisted the urge to ask the typical "did i ruin my beer" questions because what's done is done and I am going to bottle it and hope for the best. However I am getting ready to place another AHS order and one of the brews I want uses the same WLP001 that is in this """""burned""" brew. Do you think I'll be ok to harvest this yeast? The beer may be fine (hopefully is fine), but assuming the worst and it has an off taste, do you think the yeast will be ok for washing/reusing?

it should be fine, off-flavors generally travel with the wort, not the yeast.

Yup yeast should be fine. Just rinse it nicely with sanitary water at the least before repitching if you find the flavor of the beer to be offensive.

Back