All Beer is not Created Equally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmanbt

Reaction score
Hi all. This really is an unnecessary question, but I'm sitting here drinking my brew and the computer was by me. My first brew turned out GREAT - for the most part. There are a few bottles where it is lacking carbonation and it is definitely fully carbed and ready to go beer. What's the problem? Cleanliness of the bottle? Slightly incorrect capping? The fact that I put the corn sugar in halfway through transferring to bottling bucket? I washed the shiz out of the bottles. Hit them all with my bottle washer attachment on the sink, AND ran them through the dishwasher (to try and remove labels - didn't work), AND soaked them in iodophor solution. Pretty sure they were fully dried before bottling, but the caps were pulled directly from iodophor solution, shaken, and capped.

If you feel you wasted your time reading this post, you don't have to respond, it's no big deal. I'm just curious.

The fact that I put the corn sugar in halfway through transferring to bottling bucket?

That's my bet. The sugar may not have been distributed evenly throughout the beer. Also, did you add the corn sugar dry or boil it up with some water first? If you do that, it not only helps sanitize the sugar but the liquid will be easier to mix with the beer. You can put it in the bottling bucket first then rack onto it-- no stirring necessary for it to mix well.

Also, you didn't waste anybody's time with a question about beer!

-Steve

oh yeah...i mixed the 3/4 c (give or take) with a pint of water and boiled for 5-10 mins. Some have had an abundance of head even with correct pouring. But no exploding bottles!

AND soaked them in iodophor solution. Pretty sure they were fully dried before bottling

Iodophor is a non-rinse sanitizer, so technically you want them to be wet when you bottle. If they dry, your sanitizing just went down the drain. Anyways, I think the lack of carbination in some of the bottles would have to do with mixing the priming sugar in halfway though the transfer. :mug:

Back