Black Project Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 (if desired)
Additional Fermentation
Age to perfection
Tasting Notes
Medium bodied and mild for a stout. Smooth as silk when served on nitro.
A surprisingly light stout given the heavy duty name. That's supposed to be part of the "mystique." Lactose improves the body and adds a touch of sweetness to the finish.

Black Project Stout

9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
10.0 oz Carafa Special II
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Special B
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)
1 Whirfloc Tablet
12.00 oz Lactose (flameout)
1 Pkgs Fermentis S-04

Single infusion mash at 154°F for 60 minutes

Best served on nitro/beer gas.

blackprojectlabelqa5.png

blackproject.jpg

I was thinking of making this after reading your thread on quick turn beers.

Do you really just use 04? Dry yeast for this? I love it if you do. just making sure.

I do not have nitro either..I was just going to carb on co2. I have really really really been wanting to make a stout for the winter...
I think I can live with co2. .. although I am sure it rocks on beer gas.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

I do not have nitro either..I was just going to carb on co2. I have really really really been wanting to make a stout for the winter...

Let me know how it turns out on CO2 only...

Just give it a good aggressive pour to knock the gas out and let it sit for 10 minutes to warm a bit. Surprising what a little warming and flattening will do for a stout.

Yes, I really use dry yeast. Don't buy into the hype that you HAVE to use liquid yeast to make good beer. S-04 is a nice, clean fermenting English ale yeast that gives fantastic results in beers like this one.

Looks like I've found the recipe for the stout I'm going to make.

I just mashed in recipe.
Smelled amazing. Thanks for the recipe. Looking forward to this one.
T

Pic.

Well here you go Yuri. Great recipe.

I drank a small glass right from the primary and it was awesome as it.

I based my stout recipe on this. It's about a week and a half in the keg and if I don't keep my paws off of it, it will be gone before it's really good.

I added oats and black patent, so it's different than the original, but this recipe was definitely the inspiration. I'm going to make a few small tweaks and call this my house stout.

How much oats McKBrew? Were you going for a mild oatmeal stout or just adding a bit?

Nice looking recipe. How is this on the roasty burnt flavor? Get much of that?

I just realized i forgot to order the lactose :mad:

can i add this in later? i am in the middle of brewing now. I know the LHBS carrys it, can i add it in after fermentation?

Well, other than the lactose all went great.
I ended up at 1.044 due to a water calculation error (I ended up with 8.5 in the brew pot instead of 8. I probably should have just boiled it for an extra 1/2 hour...)
The wort tasted excellent :mug:

My attenuation on this was real low, it only fermented down to 1.013.
But it still tastes pretty good. :mug:
I am going to leave out the lactose unless it drops down a point or two before I keg it next weekend...

1.013 with 12 oz of lactose is 1.006 without it. Nice and attenuated!

I'm sipping a pint of this beer right now. In my haste to get my new rig running, I accidentally used Carafa III (husked) in place of the Carafa II (special). I was going to add the lactose when I kegged, but the roasty character is so big and rich, that I think sweetening this particular batch would make it almost sickeningly rich. I like it, but the recipe as written is better!

do you think smoking some of the base malt in this would be good? thinking 2lbs smoked for an hour or 2 in applewood.

better wording : can this beer handle smoking?

would i run into much trouble substituting the 8oz of special b with a mix of crystal 60L and crystal 120L? there's no lhbs and the online suppliers near my state don't carry it.

Back