How clear should one expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the yeast that will determine clarity plus how long you let it sit in the secondary. US-05 will flocculate nicely and can be brilliantly clear if you let it sit long enough. The fact that the recipe calls for gelatin in the secondary will drop most of it.

Are you going to keg or bottle?

I haven't decided to bottle or keg. Does this effect clarity? How would an ale yeast such 05 compare to Wyeast Lab 3056 in this recipe (considering taste and clarity).

It's easier to get clear beer in a keg because all the sediment falls out in one go. Plus you don't have to wait for bottle conditioning and crash cooling forces sediment to drop out faster.

I've done only 3 wheats so far (50% + wheat in the bill). I've used WLP400 belgian wit, US05 and WB-06 (the dry hefe yeast) and all three of them dropped crystal clear in the keg within 2 months.
This is the wit...

4833-P1110533.JPG

Nicely done. Well I guess I have never really tried. Maybe next time I shouldn't open my big mouth :eek:

I typically forgo the Whirfloc when brewing wheat beers because I don't expect them to be clear. Which would probably explain why they don't. :D

I've never had a problem with clarity in a wheat beer.

but that's just because I don't consider a cloudy wheat to be a problem! :cross:

Is that a two month cold storage at 32 in a keg you are referring to, Bobby_M?

Yeah, actually that wit was almost 3 months old at picture time but it was just as clear for a few weeks earlier. The weird thing is that I've only used finings in maybe two batches in my whole brewing career. I think crash chilling through the CFC might be helping. I have crash cooled in secondary for a week before kegging too but my beers tend to sit around for a while since I'm pulling off of 5 kegs at the same time.

Back