IPA Recipe (Partial Mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilkinga

Reaction score
Here is a complete recipe for an IPA I made, it was very good but I would add a second ounce of finishing hops if I made it again. It was milder than most IPA's but still very good. My favorite part was the incredible creamy head.

Ingredients: Approximate Ingredient Cost - $45.00
0.5-0.75 lbs Crystal Malt 80L American (Briess) 6 Row
6 lbs Muntons Plain Light Dry Malt Extract
1 oz. Nugget Pellet Hops (12.5 %) – Boil
1 oz. Willamette Pellet Hops (4.2 %) – Finish
1 Package of Brewers Yeast
0.75 cup of corn sugar

Specific Gravities not measured

Directions:
Preboil 2.5 gallons of water to sterilize. Cool overnight and store in fermenting bucket. In large pot steep crystal malt (using cheesecloth grain bag) in 2.5 gallons of water. Bring to a boil and remove crystal malt. Squeeze out malt juices. After boiling again remove from heat and add 6 lbs of malt extract. Stir to dissolve all extract then replace heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add Nugget hops and stir. Boil for 50 minutes and then add Willamette hops. Boil for 10 more minutes and remove from heat. Cool wort to 90 degrees and combine with sterilized water in fermenting bucket. Rehydrate yeast in water approximately 85-90 degrees. Pitch yeast once you notice it producing bubbles in water (actually pitched when total volume of wort reached 94, in a hurry). I added a little of the cooled wort to the rehydrating yeast to give it a little sugar and aid in yeast production. After pitching yeast, stir vigorously to aerate wort and seal lid and airlock. Ferment for seven days. The airlock started bubbling right away (very good sign). After initial fermentation, siphon beer into bottling bucket making sure to leave as much sediment behind in original fermenter. Boil 4 cups of water to sterilize and dissolve 0.75 cups of corn sugar for priming. Add corn sugar liquid to beer and stir. This is also a good time to taste your beer. It was pretty bitter at this point. Bottle. I filled 53.5 bottles. Let bottles sit 2-3 weeks for best results. The beer was good at two weeks but the head got creamier and beer less bitter at three weeks.

Comments: Batch – 1: November 2004
This batch was a complete success. I brought a twelve pack to work and it was considered far superior to Breckenridge Christmas Ale 2004. The beer was a beautiful amber color and the head was super creamy. It was hard to keep this beer around; it drank quickly and was considered to be very strong as people noticed feeling effects after one beer. The original recipe I used was for an IPA but the final beer was not as hoppy as a typical IPA. Next batch I would add a second ounce of Willamette hops after boil is complete.

Yeah I'd say this one is more of a pale ale. Try Magnum for bittering and maybe Centennial or Amarillo 1 oz at 30 minutes. Add an ounce of Cascade at 15 minutes and one more at 0-5 minutes. Steep your grain with 8 ounces of two-row and 4-6 oz of carapils for 30-60 minutes at 152 degrees F. Then tell us if it's an IPA.

Back