I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for the sun. I hope Mr. and Mrs. Varmint are okay. Hopefully just busy. I slept most of the day yesterday, then went out to dinner with hubby. They reduced his chemo dose to hopefully help with side effects. He can actually eat normal food the day of chemo, then within a few days the mouth sourness starts, clears up in time for his next treatment.

I really need to get out of town and just be happy and free. A lot of the family we'll be seeing, I haven't seen since I was a kid. I want to be that kid again and just have fun.

Alright, sun is starting to wake up, roosters are crowing, time to pick the berries.

Did I mention what happened with my coffee wine? Brewed coffee, chilled, boiled sugar, chilled, EC-1118, and after 5 or 6 days it doesn't seem to be fermenting at all. I added raisins, a few blackberries and lemon peel as yeast nutrient. 2.5 gallons brewed coffee, 2.5 pounds of sugar and enough wine yeast for a 5 gallon batch so should have been plenty. Maybe a bad batch of yeast or something else went horribly wrong.

Morning all. Yes I am alive and the missus is doing better. We went camping for a week and that kind of set her back a little but she is doing better now:)

Summertime kind of sucks in a way. I have been busy as heck trying to get things done and it seems the harder I work the more I have to do

Morning all. Yes I am alive and the missus is doing better. We went camping for a week and that kind of set her back a little but she is doing better now:)

Summertime kind of sucks in a way. I have been busy as heck trying to get things done and it seems the harder I work the more I have to do

Glad to hear Mrs. VM (don't tell her I call her that) is doing better.

Glad you've just been busy camping and working! I really need to start cutting wood myself.

I get moods like that too. Crappy rainy weather makes me miserable and gives me migraines, good weather not so much. Today was an off gray and rainy day, got some stuff done but I mostly chilled out. Drank a lot of apfelwein, going to sleep well tonight (this morning?).
Usually rain relaxes me. Gray days don't usually bother me.
Only thing I can think of would be if you're on painkillers :eek:
Nope, not on pain killers.

Did I mention what happened with my coffee wine? Brewed coffee, chilled, boiled sugar, chilled, EC-1118, and after 5 or 6 days it doesn't seem to be fermenting at all. I added raisins, a few blackberries and lemon peel as yeast nutrient. 2.5 gallons brewed coffee, 2.5 pounds of sugar and enough wine yeast for a 5 gallon batch so should have been plenty. Maybe a bad batch of yeast or something else went horribly wrong.
Odd, coffee wine usually is pretty vigorous.

Sorry I I don't post much for a little while. I'm pretty pissed off about some work related stuff, and I probably shouldn't vent any of it on the internet.

LG, you asked what I do a while back. I'm a DOD contractor and my job is to provide/maintain a system pilots use to self evaluate their skill and competency as well as be critiqued on it by their peers and instructors.

Sort of like in the old days a coach would break out a projector to replay a football game. Show the weakness and strength of each team and figure out a better way to be more tactically competent. What I do is sort of like that except projectors and tape are a bit outdated. I am by no means a pilot. I'm more like the guy who hits the record or play button and changes the projector's lightbulb when it goes out. I'm a maintenance guy.

Pappy!

All is okay. How are you doing my friend? I hope life aint hitting you in the nutsack like that song you posted.

That's cause you're a Marine!

I'm basically packed up. Still have some stuff to sell that I'm not taking to Hawaii. Do you want a pressure washer? :) If you were close by it'd be a good deal. ha ha

I'm a little stressed to be honest. Wife and I have been apart for almost 2.5 years.

I used to have fortitude, not sure so much now.

That's cause you're a Marine!

I'm basically packed up. Still have some stuff to sell that I'm not taking to Hawaii. Do you want a pressure washer? :) If you were close by it'd be a good deal. ha ha

I'm a little stressed to be honest. Wife and I have been apart for almost 2.5 years.

I used to have fortitude, not sure so much now.

Haha. You have fortitude Dan. In spades. You're the man!

Don't be stressed. You're the product of 1000's of generations of men who pushed their genes your way. They survived among many who didn't just to get you here. Do your progenitors proud and continue the tradition.

I have total faith in you to make things happen and lead your family. I really do. Be action-oriented, wake up each day with a plan, and it'll all be OK.

Crap!

So, I said I was going to go offline, pretty sure I appear that way.

But I wasn't really away.

ehmmm.

Pappy, I'd truly like to have a few beers and talk in person someday.

My last deployment to Iraq was in late 2007 till mid 2008. Only seven months. I'm sure Marines and Soldiers would love those short times.

Fortitude and family. They go together. I'm far from that man. I'm abandoning my kids to move to Hawaii to be with a woman who isn't even a good person to my kids. She thinks she is but in truth she is an insecure bully

Sorry, went a bit deep there. It's past midnight, my content judgement starts going downhll around 11:30 :eek:

Yea, it's late here too.

Sounds like you have decisions to make. I'm sure you'll make the right ones.

Forgive me for this, but it's my coda. The Desiderata. It seems like a big bunch of schtuff, but if you can think about each little part, it makes sense. Cheers!

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.​

Crap!

So, I said I was going to go offline, pretty sure I appear that way.

But I wasn't really away.

ehmmm.

Pappy, I'd truly like to have a few beers and talk in person someday.

My last deployment to Iraq was in late 2007 till mid 2008. Only seven months. I'm sure Marines and Soldiers would love those short times.

Fortitude and family. They go together. I'm far from that man. I'm abandoning my kids to move to Hawaii to be with a woman who isn't even a good person to my kids. She thinks she is but in truth she is an insecure bully

Sorry, went a bit deep there. It's past midnight, my content judgement starts going downhll around 11:30 :eek:

Yea, it's late here too.

Sounds like you have decisions to make. I'm sure you'll make the right ones.

Forgive me for this, but it's my coda. The Desiderata. It seems like a big bunch of schtuff, but if you can think about each little part, it makes sense. Cheers!

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.​

Are you sure your'e not a beautiful golden retriever, or any loving doG spelled backwards?.

My attempt at humor and complement.

Thank you, Pappy.

Pretty sure I'm going to print out the words and put them in a place I look at each day. Very grounding thoughts. And I thank you for them.

Seriously, I'm going to bed now. For real. No joke. :mug:Pappy. See you soon.

Goodnight.

Dan

Man what a night. I pretty much slept for a change:rockin: I have a load bearing wall in my house I am removing and so far I have built the temp load bearing wall and removed the old wall. Today I will move the wiring and get ready to set the beam on Monday. I swear the hurrieder I go the behinder I get.

At least today is beer and cigar night and tomorrow I have a wedding for a couple of kids I know so I am going to take it easy this weekend at least

Varmintman said:
Man what a night. I pretty much slept for a change:rockin: I have a load bearing wall in my house I am removing and so far I have built the temp load bearing wall and removed the old wall. Today I will move the wiring and get ready to set the beam on Monday. I swear the hurrieder I go the behinder I get.

At least today is beer and cigar night and tomorrow I have a wedding for a couple of kids I know so I am going to take it easy this weekend at least

Sleep is like a few other things in that you don't really appreciate it until you don't have it anymore. I got a solid 8 hrs about a week ago and I'm will coasting of it!

If I had known it was going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights, I'd have started building an ark. It hasn't rained all day every day and all night every night, but close to it. Berries took a beating so pretty much done picking for this season. Now that the rain might ease up, I'll try to get pictures. There is now a nice waterfall going over the biggest sink hole. And whirlpools at the bottom of the sink hole. What used to be trails are now little flowing creeks. We'll need a week of solid sunny weather for things to dry up a bit.

I added new yeast to my coffee wine and looks to be finally fermenting. I guess it was a bad batch of yeast, I had just pitched it dry.

If I had known it was going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights, I'd have started building an ark. It hasn't rained all day every day and all night every night, but close to it. Berries took a beating so pretty much done picking for this season. Now that the rain might ease up, I'll try to get pictures. There is now a nice waterfall going over the biggest sink hole. And whirlpools at the bottom of the sink hole. What used to be trails are now little flowing creeks. We'll need a week of solid sunny weather for things to dry up a bit.

I added new yeast to my coffee wine and looks to be finally fermenting. I guess it was a bad batch of yeast, I had just pitched it dry.

Please take pictures of the sinkhole whirpools. That sounds terrifying.

Please take pictures of the sinkhole whirpools. That sounds terrifying.

Terrifying is not a word I would have thought of to describe it. With the water level so high, it's hard to see the swirls, they will be more pronounced when the water level goes down. This sinkhole leads to an underground river. Divers have been here with scuba gear and there is a video somewhere on youtube of their explorations.

sinkhole1.jpg

sinkhole2.jpg

sinkhole3.jpg

I got out with the camera so it's picture night. Water and more water. It's raining hard again now.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

LG, you asked what I do a while back. I'm a DOD contractor and my job is to provide/maintain a system pilots use to self evaluate their skill and competency as well as be critiqued on it by their peers and instructors.

Sort of like in the old days a coach would break out a projector to replay a football game. Show the weakness and strength of each team and figure out a better way to be more tactically competent. What I do is sort of like that except projectors and tape are a bit outdated. I am by no means a pilot. I'm more like the guy who hits the record or play button and changes the projector's lightbulb when it goes out. I'm a maintenance guy.
Interesting. I can see why you have difficulty explaining it.

Haha. You have fortitude Dan. In spades. You're the man!

Don't be stressed. You're the product of 1000's of generations of men who pushed their genes your way. They survived among many who didn't just to get you here. Do your progenitors proud and continue the tradition.

I have total faith in you to make things happen and lead your family. I really do. Be action-oriented, wake up each day with a plan, and it'll all be OK.
Often wrong, but never in doubt eh?

Ooh. I hope you got all your orders filled. Is there space for me on the ark? :fro:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another picture of the sinkhole and some blackberries. Hope I don't bore you all with all these pics, I took a bunch.

sinkhole4.jpg

blackberries1.jpg

Amazing pics, BobbyLynn! Just be careful and don't fall into one of those sinkholes, Sis. HBT wouldn't be the same with out you. :D

Ooh. I hope you got all your orders filled. Is there space for me on the ark? :fro:

Yes, all orders were filled!!! It was like pulling teeth getting the last couple pints picked, but got them!! And, of course there will be room for you on the ark. Just bring 2 of something, a couple pigs would be nice. Bacon, gotta have bacon. :rockin:

Ok all just got in from fishing. Got off work at noon and was on water by 1:45 pm by 2:05 was dead in the water by the hrbt in Norfolk . ( for those who are have never been in Norfolk VA it is a bridge that goes into a tunnel that leads to hampton VA which jams up all the time with out of town drivers just drive 55 ya it is a tunnel) so what to do fish while we wait
For the engine to cool.

Almost 12 hours later I drank 10 h/b got a sunburn. And 10 Crocker.

One word SWEET!!!

BobbiLynn said:
Terrifying is not a word I would have thought of to describe it. With the water level so high, it's hard to see the swirls, they will be more pronounced when the water level goes down. This sinkhole leads to an underground river. Divers have been here with scuba gear and there is a video somewhere on youtube of their explorations.

Ya, that whirlpool IS terrifying! Hope you dry out soon, and sorry about the short berry season.

miker1529 said:
Great pics of sunset too navy carriers in back round .

Love the clouds!

I found this video. This is the same sinkhole I showed pictures of. The exact same spot on our property as in some of my pics but video taken years ago. They call it black hole swallet because it goes to an underground river/tunnel thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahhh. When you said whirpool I was thinking more of a siphon to the gates of hell type whirpool.

Back