Forgot to shake the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFla

Reaction score
I'm brewing a bourbon barrel porter, and right after throwing the yeast I realized I'd forgotten to shake the carboy to aerate it. Am I screwed?

So that I'm understanding correctly, normally you aerate and THEN pitch the yeast? And now you're realizing you forgot to aerate before pitching?

don't sweat it. it'll be fine. many people don't really aerate anyway. it's best to, but it's a common thing to not do it at all

Thanks Newmanwell. The NB recipe called for aeration, but the fermentation was quite vigorous. In fact I had to rig a blowoff tube to keep the wort off the ceiling!

Hijack: An overly vigorous fermentation isn't necessarily a good thing. Sounds like you may be fermenting at too high of temperature. Whats the room temp at?

This was my biggest mistake starting out...

Well the fermentation started about 12 hours after pitching and like I said was very vigorous. It calmed down after about a day and a half, and now (6 days after pitching) is showing no activity. Got another week before racking to the secondary.

I follow a tip from a Brewer, I have my full mixing bucket on the bench ready to pitch, then I drain it into my fermenter on the floor & adding the yeast as it drops, this gives vigorous aeration.

Wow I just pour from boiling pot to primary, then to bottling bucket, then back to primary and pitch the yeast. Works great for me.

Back