Secondary fermentation phase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz114

Reaction score
As a new starter to the hobby, I was wondering, when I transfer my beer from the fermentation tank to the secondary phase, will be beer be ok if the secondary fermentation is air tight, as I only have my pressure barrel to transfer it to. And how long do u recommend leaving it, in it's secondary fermentation? Cheers

Unless you're oaking,adding fruit,or the like there's no need to secondary. Many of us don't. Just leave it in primary till you hit FG,then let it settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

But if I was adding fruit to the beer, would an air tight secondary be ok or will it also need an airlock like a fermentation tank?

I like to transfer, mostly to clarify but I also often add something to the process. I always throw on a normal airlock just like primary.

I had the same question. The dude at the LHBS said the same thing about the secondary giving more clarity. Also, I bought a two bucket setup, one with a nozzle, so if I use that one as the primary, go to the normal bucket as a secondary, then back to the nozzle bucket to bottle, he said I should be able to avoid sediment and have a easier time bottling. I'll let you know how it goes! :mug:

I had the same question. The dude at the LHBS said the same thing about the secondary giving more clarity. Also, I bought a two bucket setup, one with a nozzle, so if I use that one as the primary, go to the normal bucket as a secondary, then back to the nozzle bucket to bottle, he said I should be able to avoid sediment and have a easier time bottling. I'll let you know how it goes! :mug:

Don't do that.

Don't use the one with the spigot on it as a primary. Some have, and will say they have no issues, but you could get a leak, and you will introduce extra places like the orings and the threads to get junk/gunk and could raise the risk of an infection if it's left there to ferment.

Ferment in your bucket without the spigot, and allow it to set. Rack off the bucket carefully, you'll leave some beer behind, and put it in the bottling bucket when you are ready to bottle.

I put my beers in secondary when I dry hop them, or let them sit on wood/coffee/cocoa/etc. They can stay in primary for 2 weeks, and then another 2 for secondary if you wish. Cold crash it in the primary and it'll clear even more than just putting it in the secondary.

I thought about that... I'll give it a try your way next time! Thanks

loz114 said:
But if I was adding fruit to the beer, would an air tight secondary be ok or will it also need an airlock like a fermentation tank?

To the OP, if you by chance get some additional fermentation from the fruit because of the additional sugars you will require an airlock so the fermentation gasses have a means of escaping, so yes, cheers!

Back