One Entrepreneur Wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes thanks shecky! thats what Ive been getting at!

I took your advice because you actually had cared and wasnt looking for a fight

im just going to compliment everyone who is going to be a jerk

i dont want to be part of your internet club because there is only a handful of people on here who are decent people not looking for a fake fight with someone theyll never meet - i can assure you that none of these things would be said to my face - hide behind your ****ty avatar picture

Grammar, if you people are really upset because I misplaced a few comas, added a few ... where they shouldn't be, use i instead of I, then get over yourself because my point is still the same.

That's a bold statement there buddy. I can tell you that I would not have a problem saying anything to anybody's face if I felt like it. Also you are still here so I guess you are part of the club you hate so much.

Tone and the like are often hard to convey through text, especially if it is hard to read so grammar is at least a little important.

I saw your post shortly after you had made it and I have to admit I was intrigued. You have already crossed a big hurdle by getting all the legal paperwork in order. If you were to offer help with relocating and a steady wage I may have even considered moving to a city I really don't care to live in to jump on board with this venture. Your attitude is really a turnoff though. I would wish you luck but you already stated you don't need or want it. Oh, and thanks for calling everyone ignorant and insulting their avatar pics (those that have them).

*disclaimer- this post may contain punctuation, capitalization and sarcasm

Laugh out loud. I guess I am now part of the internet club. So can we get back to the issue at hand now that I have been initiated/hazed/etc?

My attitude is definitely not for everyone, Sorry if my "Im going to to anything to be successful, and step on anyone who thinks differently" approach turns you off. Im actually quite funny, witty, and sarcastic in person. I like going to the beach, hanging out with friends, and going to sporting events on the weekends haha. But this isn't match.com is it?

Thanks for the luck, the paperwork took me two months and it was not easy at all. Especially with no one to tell me what to do, but I can definitely say I learned a lot that Ill never forget.

Also my brewery is not in Boston, and your relocation offer may have been tempting before people answered here and my other postings locally. But to everyone else, Im not looking for employees, Im looking for a business partner.

Hello all. First time post on homebrewtaok, long time reader.

I'm 24 years old and I've been out of school for about a year and a half now. After appying for jobs in all levels of every related industry to beer, wine, and other distribution companies, heck I even got turned down from a sake plant, I have come up with nothing. Currently I'm working full time, with a pricey college degree in food and beverage management, as a painter. Go figure.

Over the past year I've really spent alot of time deciding what I want to do with my life. I had dreams since I started grain brewing when I was 18 to go to school, get my degree, and then work my way through the brewing industry from the bottom up...reasonable idea, yes? but since large companies such as Dogfish only have about 150 employees, why would they even look at a recent college grad who's only brewing experience is in bootlegging and illegal underage brewing..so with no "experience" to put on my resume, I can say I've had my fair share of disappointment. I applied at budweiser for a tour guide job, not glamorous but hey, I thought it would be real great contact with the brewers and I can even stay late and help clean for free just for the experience! Not. I show up to the interview and they inform me that the position had been filled (clearly by someone less qualified than myself haha) and that I was more than welcome to apply for "gift shop cashier"...I'm definitely just a little overqualified fir that position at this point in my life...

...long story short, I won't be applying for a job working with people providing a sure sign of a good time...instead of BEER!!!! I was pissed at the way human resources handled that whole situation.

Sorry for the ramble, back to my point.

I've taken out a loan. I'm shopping now and eventually buying brewery equipment.

After crunching all the numbers and finalizing my business plan, I realize that this is something I can't do alone. There's just too much work for one man.

I'm posting here to ask if there is anyone in Massachusetts interested in a partnership for starting up a microbrewery. The hard work you read about is already done. I have all the MA licenses and permits needed. I am extremely business minded and I am seeking a hardworking individual who wants to be successful. And I am going to be successful, I just need to be given the chance that I have not yet been given. I feel sorry for every brewery I applied for. I really have no other option in this economy...well I can paint the rest of my life, but no.

so anyways, I'm not quite sure if I've reached my point...

Contact me if you are in Massachusetts and you are interested in brewing beer for a living. Or contact me if you are in the same boat as me...college degree, no experience, no job.

There's beers to be had,

Bryan

A partnership is most often a bad idea. Someone needs to be in charge. I'd look for a consultant (Is Bob still around?) to get you on the proper footing and really consider finding a small/local brewpub to volunteer at in the evenings/weekends to get some brewery knowledge. They always want someone to clean tanks and muck spent grain out and most work together to spread the knowledge.

Siebel is always an option.

Total 180 on the attitude. I like it.

And I was serious about probrewer - a lot of guys post their resumes over there and are looking to get into the business. Many have Siebel/UC Davis brewing training and/or commercial experience and would jump at an opportunity like this.

Thanks MMB, Ive actually spoken to a few consulting groups already. Lueders and Firstkey.

Ive also spoken Rick at breweryfinance.

These guys have been a huge help to start, but they ultimately didnt feel as though they would be worth the costs for a self financed small start up brewery.

For the past year I have been speaking with the owners and brewers of some local brewpubs and production breweries. I used to live in sacramento, I had the guys from Rubicon brewing look at my business plan and answer alot of my questions. They were skeptic like everyone else at first because I am 24 years old, but after a few conversations over the course of a few weeks they seemed to be really excited to help. I can say big thanks to those guys because they were the ones who helped me make the decision to go and get it. Also I had the opportunity to help out a bottling day at Russian River, to this day I can safely say their Pliny is one of the best beers Ive ever tasted.

And also around here, Ive recently started making contacts through out the industry with breweries in New England. I couldnt even work for free before. Now local breweries, Ive made contact with through volunteering at the beerfests in providence, boston, and newport, hear I am trying to start my own business up have offered me entry level positions. At this point Im too far into the start up phase to start from the bottom.

Im looking for a business partner.

You got the paperwork, you got the money...why do you need the business partner? What are you hoping the partner is going to bring to the table?

FWIW, I don't know if I'd be looking for another homebrewer for a partner. You have the the passion for the product, maybe go with someone who has passion for other aspects of the business you will need to have to succeed (marketing, inventory management, HR, sales, quality control, etc.)

ty, I treat others with the same respect Ive been given.

Im just glad to see some mature people finally post in here

Ill check out probrewer one more time, but Im debating if going through the bullying again on another website would be worth it lol

Broadbill - good point

I dont need a business partner, I want one. Like I said before I know how hard it is to get into the industry, and I know there are people in Massachusetts who are going through the same struggles as me. Starting a business is a huge risk, I want to do this once and do it right.

Also, two heads are better than one. If I can double my production and the word of mouth circles, I see the company in a way better place than it is now.

If I even bring money up on these forums people will run away, because it is just something no one has these days. As well as the scam accusations? its just not worth it.

Ideally, I would like someone to put up an equal amount to the loans I have taken out for obviously 50% of my business. "Our" business. Or at least take out a loan themselves for "our" business. I know that is a stretch, so Im not expecting anyone to bite the bullet and just do it like I did.

But again, I must stress that the hard work is done. All that is left to do is brew and sell. Just from my numbers, it will take a while for me to fully profit with what I have now...it just makes more sense on a timeline to double everything, I had said before my first partner backed out and took the safe route.

The selling will be the hardest part. You might want to find someone with industry and marketing experience. Brewing great beer is one thing, getting bars and stores to sell it is another.

You also might want to reconsider the "stepping on anyone who thinks differently" approach, I'm sure it works for most industries but from what I've read craft brewers are a friendly, tight-knit lot and you could run into the situation where you need the help from another brewer.

come on

Theres beers to be had.

Brewing is not the hard part, I said before there are plenty of good homebrew recipes out there. So the production aspect is not what Im worried about.

Selling maybe. But as a small local brewery, you can bet that that word goes a long way. Local. I dont know how it is in IL but here in the northeast, if it isnt local and fresh it isnt worth my money.

Ive spoken with plenty of restaurants, bars, and pubs locally and they said they would carry my product (if it was good) just based on my location and business card alone.

Its a long process to get to even half the status Jom Koch brought his company to, but I am a hard worker and Im not afraid of slow and steady.

neo - yes, I have great relationships with commercial brewers and supply companies right now. I understand fully the concept of doing business with those in my local community...I am a wonderful cheerful person in person which is why I have been successful in this venture so far. But if Derek from Newport Storm was to randomly one day say to me "your brewery is going to fail" I think I would have to say F U to him, and keep on truckin'.

Selling will be the hardest part, yes. But again, Local goes a long way around here...especially methuen, im about 10 minutes from you. haha

I just wanted to say that if I lived close enough, I prolly would have stopped by the brewery to say hi.

I dont know how far you are into brewing from your location, but my recommendation is that if you are licensed and have at least a 1 bbl set up and can brew today, brew a crowd pleaser extra pale ale, name and label it, and get it on tap in one location. Kick it off with hats n tees. Drop a note to the Lowell Sun editors that a new nanobrewery is going on tap... local new business, yadayada....maybe they would send a photographer and make a short column of it. All free advertisement.

Even if your brewery is limited in scale, getting one flagship beer out, using and refining the same recipe, and getting into a brewing cycle will be of huge benefit to you. It will work all the bugs out of your equipment and process, so you can professionally produce and replicate the one recipe flawlessly. It will also get you into a brewing schedule to meet a limited demand. It will open and dictate a supply flow of grains, hops and yeast. It will let you establish a plan for yeast harvest. And it will put your name out locally as a producer. If you have the ability, the next step is to open one tap at a second local location. Same beer. You will be sales, marketing, bookkeeper, buyer, distributor, and brewer. Then it will be easier to find a partner.

If there is one thing I believe without ever meeting you, and never will, is you are 24.

1) You say you want a partner, not an employee. I believe in your original post you said you need help doing what can't be done by one person. That sounds like an employee.

2) you have the money, the liscenses, the equipment, and the recipes. As a previous poster said, why does your partner need to be a homebrewer? Clearly you aren't looking for those skill sets. Why not different skill sets that YOU DONT poccess? I believe you said your degree is in restaurant Mngt? What about someone in advertising, marketing, ect.... You will NEED that expertise to succeed.

3) consider what an earlier poster said about not a 50-50 partner because someone needs to be in charge. If your attitude on here is any indication, you will run off any equal partner.

Good luck.

Look I'm not here to defend myself anymore, Ive been clear on what I'm looking for when you start your brewery you can hire whoever you want. You don't know anything about my business and only the people who have PMed me an fully understand the situation

Find another thread for your 2 cents, I know you think you're being helpful and I appreciate it...but like I said in my 400 previous posts I'm looking for a partner and if you're. It interested in my business then please post elsewhere

Barney - all good ideas thanks, I haven't spoken to the sun yet but I have spoken to Lowell officials to set up a booth downtown at the annual folk festival as my kind of kick off and they are giving me a hard time but I think it will go through

Ive considered all that but i actually just wrote down all those suggestions haha just in case I forgot so thanks again!

1) i dont want to be part of your internet club because there is only a handful of people on here who are decent people not looking for a fake fight with someone theyll never meet - i can assure you that none of these things would be said to my face - hide behind your ****ty avatar picture

7) i am looking for help from people who are interested in being an entrepreneur. people with enough ballsack to leave the jobs that are making them miserable, miserable because they see a 24 year old making the kind of moves they will never have the balls to make, when they are sitting at their computer stealing recipes from other forums and posting them as their own....reading threads on the troubleshooting forum because they cant figure out why the beer they fermented in the 5 gallon glass primary for over a month tastes like ass.....Ive heard of wine on the lee's...ha!

Ive invested a good amount of my life reading every book and magazine I can find on beer and chemistry. ......

If you have no desire to be a business man, as well as a brewer you have no business here.

The only reason I came onto this forum was to find someone who wanted to take their hobby to the next level. Like me. Im not looking for people who have worked in the industry, just so they can tell me how to do things.
I have a strong personality and I burn plenty of bridges but I am not here to sell my business or products. Half of the things I have said have been out of complete entertainment for myself, and if you cant laugh at some of the things things said then I feel bad.

like I say to everyone else, read my first post - none of this should have even happened. I enjoy all the posts from massachusetts, none of them have been jerks.

I posted this in the Massachusetts forum.

My attitude is definitely not for everyone, Sorry if my "Im going to to anything to be successful, and step on anyone who thinks differently" approach turns you off. .

Find another thread for your 2 cents, I know you think you're being helpful and I appreciate it...but like I said in my 400 previous posts I'm looking for a partner and if you're. It interested in my business then please post elsewhere

Here's something to consider. Some of us are twice your age, with more than twice as much money as you and would be willing to consider this. But your attitude sucks. You come across as a snot-nosed kid with an attitude instead of someone I feel like giving 250K to.

There's some good advice here. If you ask for advice, you can't tell people to piss off just because you don't like their advice. If your whole reason for coming to this forum is to rub people the wrong way, alienate potential investors, and be thought of as a brat in general, you've succeeded.

I don't expect anyone to take abuse, but to come off as a know-it-all at the age of 24 without even having a job is a bit much to take for some of us older more experienced (and wealthier) people who just might have quite a bit of business acumen.

Being confident is a great attribute. Being abrasive and rude to potential help is probably not going to win you points with many of us.

You have read books. But many of us have actually make businesses work, sold them, got rich, and started new businesses. I'd suggest either ignoring posts you don't like, and stop being a ****** to people offering some very helpful advice. Or you can permanently find a new forum in which to aggravate people. Telling others to "find a new thread to give your $.02 cents" is probably not going to be a good way for you to relate to us.

It's people like you who post things like this on purpose just to get a 24 year old kid upset. I see nothing posted from my first post

Everyone being rude was certainly not potential help.

Congratulations on being a successful business owner/seller/whatever

But please read the rest of posts, I'm not looking for an investor or some old man to give me 250k

Thanks again for your time, I hope this 24 year old kid from Massachusetts was a good punching bag for you

Congrats on your success again

This thread is awesome. Its rare that we get people like this punk, but fun when it happens. ;)

The OP should use his current painting profession to paint a big bullseye on himself. Or just skip that since this thread seems to be working fine. ;)

Groove_Rock said:
It's people like you who post things like this on purpose just to get a 24 year old kid upset.

Thanks again for your time, I hope this 24 year old kid from Massachusetts was a good punching bag for you

Congrats on your success again

Now thats just pathetic.
You're posting here to find a business partner. You have no place falling down and claiming that the big kids are being mean to the precious little flower.

You want to be taken seriously, behave like an adult.

Wow. When I said the original post smelled like spam I had no idea it would spiral into the "Irrelevant old man Yooper" fiasco it has become.

Let's take yoopers comment after we had gotten past the garbage talk ad had some intelligent conversation

What would you say to that

Someone said they liked the critics earlier

They are down by 5 with 2 minutes left into the half

What doyou guys think?

Groove_Rock said:
Lol and use my other homebrew talk name?

Oh no! He's going to use another name and we wont know who!

Its like forum KRYPTONITE!

Congratulations on being a successful business owner/seller/whatever

But please read the rest of posts, I'm not looking for an investor or some old man to give me 250k

Dude, you don't get it. I have 250K sitting in the bank. I am semi-retired, and I am a professional person with business acumen. I also have more brewing experience than you have years on you. I'm also not an old man.

My point is that if you're looking for a partner, they don't have to live in Mass. unless you actually need someone to shovel out the mash tuns with you.

Many of us have "contacts" in the brewing community, even if we don't want to own our own breweries, as well as are on a first name basis many of the people who own microbreweries in this country. Some of us are related to the governor of Ohio, which may or may not help you.

I'm also a moderator of this forum, trying to give you a hint to cut out the dick attitude and telling who can and cannot post to a certain thread.

If you don't want a partner with 250k, that's cool. But be careful who you insult. You may be insulting someone who could have opened doors for you with your smart mouth.

Go paint some houses or something.

Haha when you chimed in it was a little late, the thread had gone in a positive direction after being in a few directions before that

You didnt need to say anything at all, nothing you said was professional in any way what soever so to call that moderating is ludacris

did you read my first post yet?

And why do you feel the need to keep picking on a 24 year old? I paint houses yes, some of us aren't as fortunate as you have been...I've been taught to dig with only what I need

Enjoy your tons of money, just stop bragging about it

Groove_Rock said:
Haha when you chimed in it was a little late, the thread had gone in a positive direction after being in a few directions before that

You didnt need to say anything at all, nothing you said was professional in any way what soever so to call that moderating is ludacris

And why do you feel the need to keep picking on a 24 year old? I paint houses yes, some of us aren't as fortunate as you have been...I've been taught to dig with only what I need

"Wah wah, I'm just a kid, don't pick on me"

Play a new tune, would ya?
HBT is a forum for adults. You need to either man up or keep living off your parents and quit deluding yourself.

That painting comment was actually really sinking low yoop

...my spell check tried to change yoop to tool, just saying

I work with someone who has 3 children under 15 and one is autistic

He's just trying I squeak by and put food on the table for his kids so for you to even try to take a Stan at painting like its a low life position is pretty pathetic

euthanasia_medium.gif

The reason I brought up moderating was a gentle way to tell you that you are pushing the limits as to what is allowed in our forum and to give you a gentle reminder to be more cautious as to throwing around insults.

I was NOT bragging about any money. I was simply trying to point out that an investor that has both money and business, political, and brewing contacts might be good to cultivate even if they don't reside in MA.

Who's picking on you? You come into our forum and start throwing rocks and then whine because people talk some sense to you.

I've NOT been fortunate or lucky. I've worked incredibly hard, starting at the age of 14, to reach a point in my life where I'm comfortable and able to do things with my money.

If you don't think telling you to think before speaking, to be nice to others, to cultivate those with connections (political, professional, educational, AND pro brewers), and to consider investors outside of your local area is "professional", then there is no help for you.

Back