white bubbly film??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyB83

Reaction score
hey i am brewing a draft beer in secondary fermentation. I am about one and a half months in and i have noticed a white bubbly film on the top of my beer? should i be worried, because i am :(

bubbly beer.jpg

Brettanomyces. If you wanted sour and very attenuated you have no problem. Otherwise you do.

I say rack and keg/bottle, and enjoy. While you may not have intended on brewing a sour beer, you may just find that you like it.

Casey, even thought it wasn't intended, I'd still try the beer. You might like it.

Apparently, people really do intentionally put this into their beer (people who know what they're doing and want sour beer).

GrainWhisperer said:
Casey, even thought it wasn't intended, I'd still try the beer. You might like it.

Apparently, people really do intentionally put this into their beer (people who know what they're doing and want sour beer).

In portland oregon they have a sour beer trading room. I'm not a fan but many seem to be. That happens when you don't bottle soon enuf our when you rack there isn't enuf yeast action to produce co2 and push the oxygen out of carboy I think

yup, thats contaminated. I vote let it ride for 12 months and see how funky it can get. What kinda beer was it supposed to be?

Grab your favorite Earth Wind & Fire CD and start dancing, this beer's punched its one-way ticket to Funkytown! :fro:

Any idea how you may have accidentally contaminated your beer?

Back