Austin Homebrew Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Right now I'm buying coopers kits and adding in a few pounds of DME and so far am liking it, however it's running me about $35 for the can/DME/priming sugar.

I'm thinking of ordering this from AHS:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_626&products_id=13228

I'll probably pick up yeast from my local store since $7 for the wyeast greenbelt seems really expensive, don't know if it's worth it when I can grab decent yeast for a couple bucks (like a muntons or something)

Questions:

Cost to ship to Toronto, Canada. I'm wondering if I will get hit with duties or taxes when it crosses the border. They say free shipping over $100 but that's probably only for americans.

Second: doing the extract option, I don't have very big pots. I could probably get a couple gallons into a pot and fit the bag in, however its only about a 3 gallon pot. Would that be okay?

Finally, is it all worth it? I enjoy blonde beers like Canadian and Budweiser (I'm a noob, i know) and the Coopers Canadian blonde is pretty good so far!

Thanks, hoping to step up the difficulty and quality a little bit :D

1. I'd call AHS and see.
2. AHS kits do a 3-4 gallon boil so your pot size is a little small. I would suggest doing their 'mini-mash' kits which includes specialty grains which will liven up the brews a bit.
3. Is it worth it? Absolutely. But that is subjective.

If you don't wanna use their greenbelt yeast (which is exclusive to AHB as far as I know) why order the greenbelt blonde instead of just the regular blonde?

Back