sparging specifics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
I've done 4 batches of AG so far and am wondering about sparging. I'm using a cooler as a mash tun and have phils sparge arm - both of which i love. I've been sparging about 5-6 gal @ 170 depending on batch size and typically taking half hour to 45 minutes to sparge. Usually have water left in the mash tun and water to boil put is running pretty clear by the time I get around 7 gal for the boil. Does this sound reasonable w/respect to the duration of my sparge?

I did try searching first but found no direct refs to sparge time.

MM

As far as the rate goes, I ususally shoot for 10 min per gallon (6 gal/hr).

You should stop when (a) you hit your target kettle volume or (b) when your runnings drop below 1.010 (there's a pH threshold too, but I find it easier to measure the SG) whichever comes first. Unless you're going for max efficiency, it will usually be (a). Either way it's fine to have leftover liquid in the mash tun.

Yep, sounds fine to me. I think 45mins is a perfectly appropriate time to sparge 5 gallon batches. If you like you can check your final runnings with iodine or hydrometer to make sure you're not over-sparging.

Bike N Brew said:
As far as the rate goes, I ususally shoot for 10 min per gallon (6 gal/hr).

You should stop when (a) you hit your target kettle volume or (b) when your runnings drop below 1.010 (there's a pH threshold too, but I find it easier to measure the SG) whichever comes first. Unless you're going for max efficiency, it will usually be (a). Either way it's fine to have leftover liquid in the mash tun.

Anybody know the pH threshhold off the top of their head?

Not to hijack this thread, but is the amount of time for the sparge necessary (eg. can you sparge too fast) when you're batch sparging?

XCMerk22 said:
Not to hijack this thread, but is the amount of time for the sparge necessary (eg. can you sparge too fast) when you're batch sparging?
Not really. Going too fast could lead to lautering problems, but not efficiency problems. Both are concerns for fly spargers, since for them the two are related.

I have a 5g cooler MLT with false bottom and sparge arm. I try to hit 90 minutes for the sparge, and usually get within 5 minutes plus or minus of that time.
I have found that with faster sparges, my efficiency suffers, but whether higher efficiency is worth the extra time, is something only you can answer. If I want to save time during sparging, I batch sparge, which drops my efficiency by about 5%, and saves me about 1 hour.
I found that my efficiency jumped by 10% when I started doing a mash out by adding 1g near boiling water at the end of the mash to raise the temperature up to about 168 - 170 degrees. before starting the sparge. I also adjusted the sparge water temp to keep the temp of the sparge (not the sparge water) at 170.

-a.

Back