One 220v or two 110v?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
Which would be better one 220v or two 110v elements?

I currently use a sp10 but electricity seems like a great way to go. Easier to brew inside durring the winter months.

would a 220v heat stick be a bad/dangerous thing?

Chris

Here is the thing that really matters... You can do either however it really depends on what circuit you are using in your home and if it is GFCI protected and the correct amp breaker is on it.

If you go 220V you should be certain that your element draws under the maximum amount the circuit can handle... what wattage were you thinking?

I haven't decided on the wattage yet. Still trying to see if it makes sense or not for me to do. I have plenty of open spaces in my electrical panel, so I would be installing whatever is required.

If I go the 220v route. I already have a few 220v outlets for power tools, but not GCFI.

If I go with a 110v heat stick I can probably use it in conjunction with my electric oven.

Most make the 110 / 220 decision based upopn what they have available. The 'best' or most versatile set up for a new build is a large 220v, say 5500 or 4500 element controlled by a pid / ssr. With this the wattage is variable and can be dialed to what you want / need. Running a 2000w 110v element at 100% is very easy and effective to do on a 20amp gfi outlet, but it is really an easy (fast and dirty) alternative. Really depends on how sophisticated you want to go w/ the build, both in time and $$.

True - The other consideration is money. A 50 amp GFCI breaker can cost $100. You can get a 20 amp GFCI outlet for $5, and the 2kw elements can be had for less than $15 each.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 240v heat stick. It's the same basic setup as 110, and no more risk - As in all the same risks apply...

Obvious reasons?? Unless you regularly brew more than 10 gallon batches a 120v element will work just fine, doesn't sound as cool tho.

240 is better. For lots of obvious reasons.

Cheaper, don't know, but you didn't ask.

what are those obvious reasons?

wattage is what the heats water, not voltage. only advantage 240 has is that it consumes less current, makes SSRs cheaper.(by about $5) but in the end, goals are the same.

also, it is not cheaper from an electrical perspective either. the meter on your house measures kWh, so weather it is 5kw 120v or 5kw 240v, the wattage is exactly the same.

Obvious reasons?? Unless you regularly brew more than 10 gallon batches a 120v element will work just fine, doesn't sound as cool tho.

what are those obvious reasons?

wattage is what the heats water, not voltage. only advantage 240 has is that it consumes less current, makes SSRs cheaper.(by about $5) but in the end, goals are the same.

also, it is not cheaper from an electrical perspective either. the meter on your house measures kWh, so weather it is 5kw 120v or 5kw 240v, the wattage is exactly the same.

Hey that comment was from 4 years ago. I must direct you to the Statute of Limitations on old nonsensical comments. I'm not sure what I was thinking then. But I'll just throw this out anyway:

• 240V uses 1/4th the current to achieve the same wattage at the element. That's smaller gauge wire.
  • 240V is the only way to get the power to boil large batches. I do large batches, and usually 2 or 3 in a row. Waiting for water to heat can be the slowest part of the brew day.
  • Your system will work in Europe! (maybe)

That's all I got. I don't know what else I could have been thinking (drinking?) when I wrote that.

lol, didnt see the date. just saw the comment above.................gotta love necro-posting.

I will defer to your wisdom. I was actually thinking more along the lines of apartment brewers. or those that brew 5 gal batches.

Latest posts

Back