Using gelatin in secondary when oak cubes are present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hokenfloken

Reaction score
I am getting ready to add gelatin to an IPA in secondary. I added dry hops and oak cubes. The oak cubes are floating at the top along with a few bits of hops. Does anyone see any potential issues I may have with trying to use gelatin in a carboy with oak cubes floating on the top of the beer? Will the cubes be sunk to the bottom also? Any possible reactions between the wood and the gelatin? I've never used gelatin before. This is a test to see how it works. Thanks everybody!

I've heard you really want to rack the beer over onto the gelatin instead of adding it later. I also doubt it would have any effect on the cubes or if it would sink them.

I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but this is how I've done the three times I have used gelatin to clear a beer.

The day before adding gelatin I cold crash the beer at around 35-40°F.
On the next day I take 1 tsp in little less than a ½ cup of water for a 5 gallon batch. I heat it gently to 158°F (stir while heating) to sanitize the gelatin, cover it and let it cool down to room temperature. Then I poor it into the fermenter and stir gently to mix it into the surface.
1-2 days later the beer is clear and ready to be racked to a keg.

Once I was clearing a 10 gal. batch split in two buckets. I didn't pay attention while heating the gelatin for one of the buckets and the temp rose to 170°F. That bucket did not clear as fast as the other bucket where I only heated to 158°F so I guess you will "destroy" the effective parts of the gelatin by heating it too much so the clearing I was seeing was from the cold crash.

I "poured" the gelatin into the carboy with a funnel. I had a bit of splashing on the surface of the beer. I gently stirred. Did you get any splashing while pouring? If so, did it oxidize the beer?

Back