Went Shopping :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
went to lowes and picked up the North American Outdoors Test Rite Saf-T-cooker and 50' of copper tubing to make an immersion chiller. i fired this bad boy up and the flame was huge. this thing rocks!

img00573117914.jpg

Keep your receipt handy. That thing has a safety feature which shuts down the flame at certain temps, not heard that it was super reliable.

If the safety shut-off is a timer with a sensor, just open the mechanical timer and disble it. You still will have the safety for when the flame blows out.

the safety feature on mine was a timer that will turn the flame OFF every 10 mins and then you'd have to light it again.
So on a 2+ hour cook for all grain (mash, sparge, boil) you'd have to light it i bet at least 20 times.. very frustrating.

the timer was not mechanical btw, and the hosethreads were not matching the inlet and out, so couldn't just take it out in between..

To disable my timer i took it apart. It is like a electromagnet that will shut off after 10 mins. I just took my magnet out if i remember right. That way it stayed open the whole time.
Others might be different though, this was the first one i had ever seen like this (and hopefully the last, they're useless and a PITA)..

I guess one could also try and find a new regulator and hose.. jsut make sure the connections are the same. I chose not to since i am cheap :)

I have the same one. just dont put the temp probe in the hole. I just left mine hanging. has done good for a year now. I cut off the sides so I can put my keggle on it.

the temp probe is the thing that goes in the alum. block that touches the side of the pot. you dont want that for a 60 min boil,it will shut ya down.

i just got one last week... did a full boil centennial blond extract over the weekend with it and the thing worked awesome! i disabled the safety feature on mine by never putting that lil temp probe in its holder on the side of the stand... i left it coiled up under the controller box like mentioned somewhere on here. i also left the controller box cranked the whole way up and adjusted the gas only by the knob on the regulator. huge rolling boil with no issues at all!

I saw these at Lowes and was thinking of buying one. ( I figured I'd wait till after thanksgiving and they might go on sale)
Couple questions.
What's the volume of the kettle if you fill it to where it flairs out?
And how close is the spigot to the bottom of the kettle?
And can you take it apart to clean it?

So I went to lowes and bought the 64 dollar turkey fryer they had there:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=48651-58355-20020107&lpage=none

Got it home and found a nice large dent in the AL pot. Going to take it back but I'm wondering if I should pony up a few more dollars and get this $99 35qt cooker. Is everybody happy with the spigot? Im just worried with the weird size pot that if I end up not liking the pot I'm going to have to modify the frame so that another pot will fit into it.

I just picked up two of these from Lowes for $25 each. I also got two of the 30 quart non spigot version for $15 each. They aren't the best option out there but for $80 i got 4 30 qt plus pots (2 with spigots) and 4 burners. Crazy deal. I bought all they had in the Fullerton, CA store.

Back