Using Jasmine Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrain

Reaction score
I know the popular suggestion is to use minute rice, but I've got a whole bunch of jasmine rice and would like to use that.

I've searched the forum but can't seem to find anyone who as used grocery store rice.

Cooking directions are: rinse, use 1 part rice to 2 parts water, boil, let simmer for 15-20 mins.

Do I want to do all of that and then add to the tun for mashing? Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks.

I haven't used jasmone rice before, but if it isn't instant rice(minute rice) your going to want to cereal mash it. There are a few articles on this subject inthis forum and on the net.

I think Tonedef in one of the other threads says it best...

I have brewed with Jasmine rice and the aroma doesn't really come through. After going through a cereal mash, then mashed with the rest of the grains, then boiled for an hour and finally fermented all of the aroma has left. Now when I use rice I just buy the pre-gelatinized flakes, you get the same flavor with none of the trouble.

Since you have to do a cereal mash on uncoverted rice, you would more than likely lose all the delicate flavors of the jasmine rice....

I found some "sprouted rice" in the store today when going to get my minute rice for my cream of three crops. The rice I guess was spruted much like how you malt grain. Would this require a cereal mash?

Even I have never used Jasmine rice before. After al, who gave you this lovely suggestion? Try a bit of Google, it might help U a lot. Hope it works.

So I'm in the middle of the boil now. For the record:

I just cooked it as suggested on the directions except I skipped the rinse: one part water per one part rice, brought it to a boil and let it simmer, covered, for 20. After all that I added it to the mash.

Recipe was 5.5# two-row, 3# flaked corn and 1# rice (jasmine measured dry). I ended up with an overall efficiency of 74%, which is pretty good for me. I nailed my target temp in the first batch and then, not really having a plan, did the second batch sparge at 158.

I think going forward this will work fine for me. I know that I could probably get a better e% if I do a proper cereal mix but that's somewhat of a hassle. So long as it's such a small part of the mash I'm okay with this method.

What is the general train of thought for the second sparge temp, I usually see it mentioned as 5-15 degrees (F) higher than the first, but I don't really understand the science.

Great idea to use jasmine rice in your recipe. I love jasmine rice for it's floral qualities. Please post your recipe and especially the results.

I love using Jasmine rice in beer. I design the brews to show off its floral characters. I do a Jasmine Common that is lovely IMEACO.

Great idea to use jasmine rice in your recipe. I love jasmine rice for it's floral qualities. Please post your recipe and especially the results.

The recipe is just a slight variation of this, I used a bit more corn just because I worried about low e% on the rice. BierMuncher recipes have been good to me.

In a couple of weeks I'll let you know if I can taste any flavor, I've heard people say they can't find a trace of it but others who see to think it adds a nice flavor.

What I would really like to do, if this turns out of course, is use 1# corn and 3-4# rice and really try to boost the flavor. One thing at a time, though...

Back