When bad things happen to good people

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got word that a guy I grew up with, thanks to our families being extremely close, was killed last night in a house fire. I haven't been close to him in some time but his parents are like a second set of parents to me and pseudo-grandparents to my kids.

My heart aches for them. :(:( They saw their son through drug and alcohol addictions that he kicked many years ago. Now they, who are in Florida near my mom as they usually are at this time of year, have to deal with this. The father was almost as heartbroken as me when my dad died a couple years ago.

They are two of the sweetest people I know and in no way deserve this. But they are strong and I know they will get through it.

For some reason, I had to share.

That's rough buddy...I know what it's like...I had 2 friends that I kinda lost touch with die...one OD'd, and another killed himself after a nasty custody battle...they were both great guys, but after one too many blows life got too much for either of them..

It's also hard to be far away from people you care baout at a time like this...both to be there for them, and to grieve together..

Anything you wanna talk about, you got my pm box, buddy!

:mug:

I'm sorry - that really sucks. I find in similar situations where the loss isn't directly yours, that it still hurts just as much because the people affected (whom you love) are hurting. I hope his parents are OK and turn to each other and family/friends for support.

I'm sorry - that really sucks. I find in similar situations where the loss isn't directly yours, that it still hurts just as much because the people affected (whom you love) are hurting. I hope his parents are OK and turn to each other and family/friends for support.
'Tis true. I shed some tears this morning for them. Was a sort of odd, yet therapeutic, feeling.

Shecky,
Although I'm a n00b here, I wanted to offer my condolences to you and all involved.

Be well.

Sorry for your loss.

When I lost my brother, one of my friends did not come to the funeral.
He said he couldn't deal with it.
But, He did call me every day for about a year, made me get out of the house,
made me talk about it, made me deal with it. Looking back, he was what I needed.

Of course, be there for them now.

But give them a call in a few weeks after the shock wears off, just to say hello.
My parents told me they felt abandoned after a couple weeks.

Back