Centennial Lemon Blonde (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
First time w/out a kit so I just stole some bits a pieces from a few already online.

The basis is BeirMuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe, it was AG but he put an extract conversion:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=426430&postcount=10

Then I added a few parts from BlindLemonLars who added some fresh lemon zest from a few lemons on his tree:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=52886&highlight=lemon+blonde

6.6 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME
1 lbs Cara-Pils (steeped)
0.25 oz. Centennial @ 40 min
0.25 oz. Centennial @ 20 min
0.25 oz. Cascade @ 10 min
2 oz. Lemon Zest @ 10 min
1 tbsp Irish Moss @ 10 min
0.25 oz. Cascade @ 5 min

Wyeast 1028 (London Ale)

OG was approx. 1.045

Not sure if its 2 oz of lemon zest, more of a guess, I used 5 lemons, I also dropped it in at 10 min instead of 5, had a brain fart but hopefully it will still be good. The London Ale yeast was washed and reused from my last batch, I pitched without a starter and also put another jar of it into a starter to repitch if I don't get any activity.

Well she is now bubbling away in the primary, I was impressed with how quickly my washed yeast started working, and I didn't use a starter.

The gas coming out smells exactly like lemon flavored iced tea. Very curious how this will taste after some proper conditioning.

Sounds good. I'm close to ready to keg off my second batch of what I call my "Golden Lemon 5-Grain". It's a very very light beer and I use the lemon zest just like you did. I was very happy with the first batch of this.

Keep us posted. I would love to know how those two beers turn out. I'm about to bottle an American Wheat that I used lemon in for the first time. I used dried lemon peel unfortunately. It's funny you say it smelled liked lemon Iced tea. That's exactly what I was shooting for. I threw in some tea leaves at flameout and added some concentrated tea I brewed to the secondary.

Thats interesting man...
I heard rumors about a hard tea malt beverage recipe, but havent been able to locate it on the board.

Its been about 3 weeks now for this beer in the bottle, I added gelatin after a week in the secondary, but did it like an idiot (I'll spare the details) and ended up bottling it soon after due to stories of dead yeast and flat beer resulting from gelatin additions. A lot of the white under skin of the lemon was added with the zest and ive heard that is not good, it has a strong lemon nose, that doesnt smell right to me (I think the white part of the peel causes this), the lemon flavor is also pretty strong, but works. The SWMBO loves it so thats good too. If I do this again I will only use 3-4 lemons and will shave less off to ensure it is truly the zest that is added. I think maybe another month of conditioning will make this a really tasty summer brew, I'll bring it to a 4th of July party and it should be perfect.

Yeah, I've seen that recipe around here, but that's not really what I was going for. I just want a crisp, lighter tasting beer that has an Iced tea taste. Not a hard tea or malt beverage type drink. I'm going to be bottling it tonight actually, so I'll try to keep you posted.

Back