American Pale Ale Ugly Kettle Pale Ale (Top APA in Local Comp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale - 05
Yeast Starter
Prior Batch SLurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Keg conditioned at 60 degrees for 14 days
This beer took third in the Light Ale category at a local competition recently. There were five major groupings for judging and all pale ales were lumped under this light ale category, along with blondes, cream ales, etc… This was the only American Pale Ale to place which meant it had to be the best of the lot.

The IBU’s are light on this beer compared to standards. But by mashing this beer (153ish) for 90+ minutes, it finished out very dry and the hop bitterness came through nicely. That…along with a nice late addition and dry hopping made this a very crisp, clean beer with a nice hop nose. This is a nice warm weather pale ale as it gets away from the heavy malt tones.

This recipe is easy on the old hops budget too, with only 5 ¼ ounces of hops for a 10-gallon batch, including the dry hopping.

Anyway…I thought it was a great beer and to get a third place medal and be the top rated American Pale Ale means I must have gotten something right.

Note that the Phoenix and Galena are interchangeable if you only have one of these hops. You could even sub in Crystal…just adjust the recipe for the lower AAU’s.

Batch Size: 11.60 gal
Boil Size: 15.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
ABV% - 4.7%

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

0.75 oz Phoenix [12.00%] (90 min) (FWH)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.10%] (15 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.10%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (1 min)
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (1 min)
0.25 oz Phoenix [12.00%] (1 min)

For each five-gallon batch:
0.25 oz Galena [11.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Looks like an awesome recipe, Biermuncher. Would you happen to have a 5.5 gallon version? (Just divide everything by two?)

Some of those hops look kind of rare, even though suitable substitutes can be found. I'll definitely have to add this one to the list though! Thanks.

Looks like an awesome recipe, Biermuncher. Would you happen to have a 5.5 gallon version? (Just divide everything by two?)

Some of those hops look kind of rare, even though suitable substitutes can be found. I'll definitely have to add this one to the list though! Thanks.

Yes. Cut everything in half except the .25 ounces of that 1-minute addition.

Also, the dry hop schedule I posted was per-five gallons, so don't cut the dry hops.

Congrats on the third place! I am putting this on the schedule for next brew day. Incidentally, I have tried several of your recipes and have loved them all. Thanks for the contributions. :mug:

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this about 2.5 weeks ago. OG was 1.051 Opened up the primary tonight. Down to about 1.013 . So I dry hopped right in the primary tonight. Sample tasted great. Another 7 days and I will keg cold crash and keg it up. Gonna let it condition a bit in the keg. I was thinking of trying to carb with sugar in the keg rather than force with co2. Any advice on doing so.

Ps I am stocked up on Beirmuncher recipes. Got Oktoberfast on tap my sample batch. Centenial Ale just finished a 5 gallon keg and brewed up 10 more gallons on Sunday. Planning 10 gallons of Oktoberfast this weekend for a party at the end of October.
:tank:

Back