Tandoori Chicken Thighs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbanger

Reaction score
I usually just do bacon wrapped thighs but I ran across a good tandoori marinade recipe so though I would give this a try, bacon optional but use thick-sliced if you do...

INGREDIENTS
• 12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can also use reg thighs or drumsticks if not wrapping with bacon)
• 1/2 cup chopped white onion
• 6 cloves garlic, plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped serrano or jalapeno chile
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for brushing
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 1/2 cups plain whole-fat yogurt
• 2 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
Place the chicken in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag or large casserole dish. Combine the onion, 6 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger, serrano pepper, and oil in a blender, and process on high speed until it forms a smooth paste. Add the paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and continue to process until well blended. Add 1 /2 cup yogurt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and process again to form a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours, turning the chicken occasionally.

I use a PG500 to cook on but any grill setup for indirect heat should work, though certainly not as well, and you may have to adjust the time to suit your particular setup.

I put thighs in the PG500 set to 375º (15,90) in Zone 4, the indirect bottom rack, as soon as the pellets are ignited. About an hour later, I increase the controller temperature to 425º for the final crisp, about 20 minutes or internal 165.

Moist and flavorful inside with great tandoori flavor, very smokey and crisp bacon all around. These things are awesome!

Do they end up red like the ones in the restaraunt?

sounds awesome!

Oh yeah, they are good.

Never tried it but you can pick up one of those clay tandoori cookers and give it a go with that, but they are delicious this way too.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I saw one of those one time that worked inside the oven but I wasn't able to find it. I did run across this DIY cooker which looks like a pretty easy and cheap way to go if anyone's interested.

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a good recipe to try in my pit bbq with fire offset. Some kind of terra cotta shallow bowl thing might be good in combination?

Might be a good recipe to try in my pit bbq with fire offset. Some kind of terra cotta shallow bowl thing might be good in combination?

Sure! I cook cook them in my pellet pit, does a fine job without the clay pot.

Back