Breakup of a huge rhizome ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarnieBrew

Reaction score
I've been given a complete root system of a Columbus hop plant, and have spent some time this morning chopping/separating it all. Just looking for some advice from seasoned hop growers as to what's good, and what isn't?

The first photo is of my breakup into 3 'groups' of cuttings. The next 3 images:

Group 2. Rhizome clippings 1 - the more traditional-looking rhizomes I've been able to remove, each of these have at least one, but most have many visible shoots/buds.

Group 3. No visible shoots - These look like rhizomes as I'm used to seeing them, but none of these sticks have any visible shoots.

Group 4. Clumps with shoots - These are small bunches of root balls, most of which have many visible shoots/buds coming out of them

I'm wanting to pass some of these on to friends & fellow home brewers, but I don't want to dud anyone. Obviously I can hand out group 2 pretty safely. Can anyone tell me if the root balls in group 4 should also grow vines ok?

And the sticks in group 3 with no shoots, should they simply be disposed of?

Thanks in advance...

Columbus rhizome cuttings.jpg

Columbus - rhizome clippings 1.jpg

Columbus - no visible shoots.jpg

Columbus - clumps with shoots.jpg

#2 looks like good cuttings with buds, will work #3 looks like they may be roots (can't really make out any buds) if there's no buds, they won't grow shoots, #4 looks like they may be roots but may have been cut very close to the crown so they may have a few buds on them. If there's some buds there, they'll make new shoots and grow for you. I'd stick them all in the ground and see what happens but #2 is what's normally sold as rhizomes.

Back