Question from the new guy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikevic413

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. Im getting my first kit in the mail this week and im trying to get everything ready so i could brew when it gets here. Ive really gotten excited about doing this after a brewed with my first mr beer kit last thursday(west coast pale ale) which is fermenting as we speak. My questions is, storing my fermenting jug. I have a basment which is heated to roughly the temp thats recommended for fermentation, but the lights are wat im slightly concerned about. Does your jug have to be stored in complete darkness or could some light be ok. The majoity of the light is mood lighting(a few christmas lights and a couple beer signs) which are not on 24/7 maybe a few hours a day. Is that ok? Or should i find another location? Any info would help thanks in advance

mike vic:rockin:

Everything I have read says to avoid direct sunlight. If you are that concerned you could place a towel over it.

thats what i was reading to. im giving it a shot with a 1 gallon fermenting jug so if anything i could put it inside of a cooler. thanks

Really just need to keep it out of sunlight. I ferment mine in the garage which has a light on 24/7 without any issues. If you're concerned you can always place an old shirt over the carboy

Back