when to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyote

Reaction score
I have a Belgian Strong Dark Ale that I brewed on 09/09. OG was 1.076. ambient air temp is 70°F

still have slight airlock activity...about one bubble every 25 seconds. I'd rather not disturb this beer until I'm ready to secondary.

when should I rack it to secondary?

thanks.

airlock = nothing to do with beer being 'done' or 'ready for secondary'.

get your hydrometer out. take a reading today.
take one tomorrow
take one sunday

if all 3 are the same, the beer is done and good for secondary. that's the rule. 3 days of consistent hydro readings which are close to your estimated final gravity mean its done fermenting.

vibrations from a truck driving by outside, or a shift in room temperature will release CO2 in the beer causing airlock activity, days after a beer is 'done fermenting'.

Use your hydrometer to find out. Check the SG today and then check again in 2 days. If the reading is the same (and not obviously still too high) then go ahead and rack to secondary.

Don't use airlock activity as your sole means of determining when fermentation is complete. The hydrometer is your friend! (plus you get to drink the samples :D)

appreciate the replies (and I took your advice)...

SG = 1.017

yeast was WLP 570 and WLP 500.

will have to check the attenuation of those yeasts.

tastes GREAT btw!! :rockin:

thanks again!

Back