Starsan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
I use Starsan as my sanitizer and was wondering how long a batch will last or if there is a way to know when the batch isn't good anymore to should stop using it?

The only sure fire way to know if it is still an effective sanatizer is to test it with a pH meter. Some people (like myself) use it until it is cloudy, but I also only mix batches I will save with distilled water. I just pour it back into the jugs the distilled water came in for storage.

I have had starsan turn cloudy in minutes using tap water, so I know cloudiness doesn't automatically mean it is ineffective, but it is a good enough indicator for me when I use distilled water to mix it up

It'll keep a good long while and is effective as long as it's above a certain acidity. I keep 5 gallons of solution in a 6 gallon fermenting bucket (had to go buy one as I ferment in carboys). The last batch I made I've had for at least 3, maybe 6 months and it shows no signs of needing to be tossed. I test pH each time I use it and last time the test strip showed between 4 and 2 for the pH.

I've seen other brewers do this, and I've confirmed it with Five Star (the company that makes Star San) also.

I love using the 6 gallon bucket because I can just dip my equipment into the bucket for a quick soak and then use it right away. For carboys, I dump the solution into the carboy, let it set for a couple minutes, and then just dump it back in. For my kegs, I dump about 3 gallons in the keg, seal it and let it set for a couple minutes. Then I flip it upside down, and let it set for a couple more minutes.

Oh of course. Sorry I thought it was implied. Gotta keep crap and small children from falling in the bucket. :)

I have a $5 homer cheapo orange bucket I use for things like that. It's also great for soaking the labels/gunk off 12-13 bottles at a time. I soak'em overnight,or from early morning to evening in the bucket with enough PBW to cover them by 2" or so. Then a Dobie & bottle brush makes real quick work out of cleaning them. The labels float off,& the glue is dissolved or very soft & easy to remove with the dobie.

I keep my 5 gallon batches of Starsan for about one beer cycle. From brew day to the keg I'll keep the same batch of Starsan. That is usually around a month to a month and a half. After that I throw it out. A batch of starsan is cheap compared to losing a batch of beer so if I even find myself wondering about the starsan I'll make a new batch.

^^^That's what I've found myself doing the last couple of batches. Just better to play it safe,since it's getting a little cloudy at that point.

pH tester: $28 bucks.

Verify that your Star San is below pH of 3.5 and you're golden.

It also helps to use only distilled water for your Star San.

I usually keep my five gallon batch for a about month without issue. This usually takes me from brew day through bottling day. In tap water it will turn cloudy very quickly. The cloudiness of the mixture is no indication of the potency of the Starsan mix.

If you mix with distilled water, it will last for a long time. I usually keep a revolving batch that I add to whenever the level gets too low, 1-2 gallons at a time. If the pH goes above 3.5, you can add a couple of drops of undiluted StarSan to bring it back down. And when it gets too much debris at the bottom of the bucket, you can rack it off into a new bucket.

Only once or twice a year do I actually dump it out and make a fresh solution. I have also never experienced the cloudy StarSan that I hear people talk about, so I guess distilled water is working.

When mine starts getting a little cloudy,I use a coffee filter in my funnel & filter it into a clean jug to clear it up a little. This milky colored bit of stuff clogs the filter,& I put in a new one. Works pretty good till it gets dingy looking.

Latest posts

Back