The Dark Lord Cometh....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody else heading to Three Floyds today? Doors open at noon.

Today is the day they release the Dark Lord. Oh sure, I could've posted this sooner, but then you all would show up and there would be less for me!!! (actually, I just didn't think of it).

:drunk:

6513-DSCF0154.JPG

Once a year, Three Floyd's Brewery releases a beer for one day only. People stand in line for it and once it is gone, it is gone. They hire bands to play. The lawn becomes a gigantic picnic area. Lushes abound!!!

The beer is now sold out for the year and I have six lovely bottles....

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. The weather was nice and of course this was bad. Personally, I was hoping for a lot of rain to discourage the fair weather drunks from showing up. I hate fair weather drunks.

I wound up spending about 80 minutes spent in line for the beer, but truth be told, the weather couldn't have been more perfect for standing in line. 65 degrees, lots of clouds to minimize direct sunlight, but an otherwise clear and dry day. Nice. Best of all, they had coolers set up along the line, so you could hop out of line really quick and buy a beer as you wait.

As I was standing in line, the great weather, the sunshine made me think about how this entire experience reminded me of a Cubs game... You wait in line an hour for your beer, but the scenery is nice... just like a Cubs game. But then I realized that there were two other factors that make this way better than a cubs game. The first is that the beer is GOOD. The second is that, at the end of the day when you leave, your team hasn't lost! Yup. Definitely better than a Cubs game.

We got there late. It was SWMBO's fault. Eh... Noon, 2:30pm, close enough. I knew I should've left without her and just left directions. When we got in line, there was a guy standing there letting people know that there are running low and they can't guarantee that you'll get any if you stand in line. That discouraged 90% of the people and it made me want to strangle SWMBO for being two and a half hours late. To make matters worse, she was in a crabby mood, so I was half ready to say forget it, just to avoid the inevitable whining. But, much to her credit, she didn't complain, we talked and it was a nice time waiting in line. I don't give SWMBO enough credit. She rules. Anyway, we got our beers with plenty left behind the desk for the rest of the people taking a chance on standing in line.

The description from the bottle reads:

Dark Lord is a gargantuan Russian Style Imperial Stout with a reverse cascading head that starts out billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings. Its Resonant vinous aroma has been described as cherries, sweet malt, molasses, burnt currants, plums with a port wine alcohol undertow. Mochachino notes buried within. Motor oil consistency, hellishly smooth yet divinely burnt and vinous. The first sip coats your palate with a palatial charred fruit and chocolate blanket. Alcohol burn wiggles its way down your throat with a thick body. Enjoy and thanks for your continuing support.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
So... hows it taste?

At $15 a bottle, I'm going to open the first when I am well rested and sober, preferably in the morning when my taste buds are more perceptive. $90 for a six pack is quite the splurge in my current situation, I'm afraid. I really have to savor these as I have to work two days to pay for them.. ouch.

Besides, one and a half of them are technically SWMBO's... who is feeling under the weather. She actually sported my the five bucks so we could get the sixth one and we're going to split it. I figured we'd do that together once she's feeling more up to it.

Before I attempt a clone, I will need a few things. First, a crusher. I positively won't be able to make a decent high grav beer until I have more control over my crush. The crusher will be ordered later in the week. I am still debating between the BC and the CAS.

Second, I will need to finish reading Radical Brewing. There's lots of good insight in there, but my ADD personality won't bring me to read more than two paragraphs before I get excited and flip to another section to read about something completely different. Does anybody else read books out of order or is it just me? I swear that book is designed for people with ADD..

Thirdly, I will have to do some reconnaissance- check out web site reviews, find other recipes, etc, in order to get a feel for what other people think. Maybe even swing by the brewery and bend an ear or two.

Fourthly, I will have to finish up some of my other recipes that are pending (see sig).

Finally, I will need to confirm that this beer is, indeed, worth cloning. :tank:

I too was able to score a 6er. Got a few left from least year as well...

The cask aged DL tasted a little thin to me and the table next to us agreed, but I have a feeling that this could have had something to do with the cask ages Behemoth BW we had right before.

Toot said:
I swear that book is designed for people with ADD...

I've been known to do some flipping, but I agree that Radical Brewing almost encourages it. I'm pretty sure I've read the whole thing by now, but I'm not sure.

Well, SWMBO and I popped open a Dark Lord last night. :drunk:

I intentionally let a little bit sit out over night. I poured it into my hydrometer tube and now I have a burning, burning question. Who in their bloody right mind would make a beer with a terminal gravity of 1.071??!!!!

Clone it? Hell no. I'm actually tempted to add the 5 remaining bottles into a carboy and referment it down to a respectable FG!!!!! LOL

It tastes good. Not much hop flavor or aroma, which is fine for the style, but kind of sucks when you are chewing on a stout with a finishing gravity over 1.070. Despite the lack of hoppiness, it may age well. The aroma was dominated by a familiar fruity-ale aroma that should probably age well. It smelled of cherries, sweet nuts, and vanilla.

Mouthfeel was very dense smooth and thick, as you'd expect. However, they probably could have achieved the same sensation with a little bit of oatmeal.

There was virtually no head, however, what little head it had, a single layer of bubbles, actually hung around through the entire glass which was nice.

There was also a noticeable tartness, like from black patent or perhaps that old stale coffee tinge. They do say it is brewed with coffee.

I think the key to this beer is to try to balance the sweetness from the high final gravity with the bitterness of black patent.

Anyway, according to stuff I've read online, this beer has an alcohol content of 13%. Maybe it was so in years past. However, given the fact that SWMBO and I polished off a pitcher of margaritas with dinner, then split a bomber of my 5.2% Hefeweizen, then had one of my stouts at 6.4%, then had a Maibock at around 7%, and I had at least 2/3rds of each of those, and then I polished off 3/4ths of the Dark Lord and was still standing, I suspect they may have simply missed their target gravity this year. In order to have a 1.070 FG and 13% ABV, the OG of this beer would have to be about 1.170. That's about 55% attenuation.

Drink it from time to time? Sure. Clone it? No thanks. I know I can do better....

Damn Squirrels said:
...SWMBO and I polished off a pitcher of margaritas with dinner, then split a bomber of my 5.2% Hefeweizen, then had one of my stouts at 6.4%, then had a Maibock at around 7%, and I had at least 2/3rds of each of those, and then I polished off 3/4ths of the Dark Lord and was still standing, I suspect they may have simply missed their target gravity this year. In order to have a 1.070 FG and 13% ABV, the OG of this beer would have to be about 1.170. That's about 55% attenuation.

Drink it from time to time? Sure. Clone it? No thanks. I know I can do better....

LOL. What happened to waiting till you were well rested and sober before drinking your first?

Glad you enoyed it. Sounds like trying to clone 5-gallons of that stuff would cost a fortune.

BierMuncher said:
LOL. What happened to waiting till you were well rested and sober before drinking your first?
We opened SWMBO's bottle, not mine. ;)

Glad you enoyed it. Sounds like trying to clone 5-gallons of that stuff would cost a fortune.

I don't really think it was 13%. I've had beers over 10%. I know what they feel like. I don't think this one was that high.

I popped open my second Dark Lord a couple of days ago. The last few months of aging did this beer wonders. I find it hard to believe they aged it for a year and yet it improved that much over the course of just a couple more months... Anyway, this sample was much more delicious.

Still thick and chewy, chocolatey carmel notes with quite a bit of roastiness. Very delicious.

Back