I know another GD squirrels thread !!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First off, those Ba$$tard$!!!!!:mad:

So I get home from work to find that two of my plants growth tips (one on each plant) have turned into a spring day picnic lunch. So I took a deep breath and remind myself that I have taken this type of event into consideration and have 3 bines per plant so I should still be okay. I decide that it is time to redouble my plants defenses.

So I get the rat traps out bait them and set them. Put more screws into the fence so that they stick out like spikes of justice, and put some of my dogs crap on the fence for good measure.

As I finish I see out of the corner of my eye the stupid squirrel... THE ENEMY!! It looked at the rat trap, and I waited for the sweet sound of death to ring out in my backyard. The squirrel bounced over the rat trap, and onto the fence missing the spikes of justice, and up the electric pole.

That little SOB sat at the top of the pole there watching me as I tried to shoe him away with a big garage broom. My neighbor was in his backyard, and asked if I was okay. He had been watching me the whole time. I told him that I was good, and was trying to shoe the squirrels away. I felt very stupid.:eek:

Feeling mad and stupid I went inside, grabbed a home brew, and let the squirrels win this battle. However, tomorrow my new pellet gun and I will win the war!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant. B@$$t@rd squirrels!!! :mad:

I feel your pain.. however in my case it appears that all they needed was a taste, and then decided from that they didn't care for them, and moved on. No problems since. So here's hoping you get the same good fortune!

:mug:

1000fps... Hollow point or sharp tip... works like a charm... quiet too!:rockin:

My dog has decided that this years hop bed is her new dog bed. She's not eating anything, she's just laying in the dirt and top of my hops trying to grow. Not the same thing, but I can't shoot of the dog or the wife will shoot me.

Get some 1/2" chicken wire and make cages about 12" in diameter.

At least it wasn't a deer sampling the tip of a 4 foot bine, when it's too late to start another. That's why I do three bines. Critters won't eat a hop bine, but one bite and the tip is history.

I got a tree rat that has been climbing my poles and chewing the string off,then the little rat rolls the string up into its mouth and runs off. I think its making some nest with it. Funny to see,but Im tired or redoing my lines.

mmmm tree rat stew.:D

I got a tree rat that has been climbing my poles and chewing the string off,then the little rat rolls the string up into its mouth and runs off. I think its making some nest with it. Funny to see,but Im tired or redoing my lines.

mmmm tree rat stew.:D

You could put up some decoy lines. :D
or just leave bits of string lying around that area...that's probably a lot less work...

I feel your pain.. however in my case it appears that all they needed was a taste, and then decided from that they didn't care for them, and moved on. No problems since.

Yep, they snacked a little that first year to get a taste, as did the rabbits, but both have since decided it was not worth it and have left it alone.

I wouldn't go overboard with trying to eradicate squirrels. Rabbits on the other hand? Fire away!

Rat traps do work great for squirrels, use peanut butter on the trigger part.

A bit off topic... anyone have some thoughts on keeping the Japanese Bettles at bay this year? They really take over my hops every year. So far they've concentrated on the Willamette and fuggle, so I've been able to get a harvest from my cascade... but I'd like to get a harvest from all of the plants.

Rat traps do work great for squirrels, use peanut butter on the trigger part.

A bit off topic... anyone have some thoughts on keeping the Japanese Bettles at bay this year? They really take over my hops every year. So far they've concentrated on the Willamette and fuggle, so I've been able to get a harvest from my cascade... but I'd like to get a harvest from all of the plants.

Plant pole and bush beans in the area and they will be "redirected"... They much prefer rose bushes, crabapple trees, birch trees, pole beans (they eat the leaves but don't effect bean production).

And most importantly, make sure you and everyone else in the area is spreading the Bayer Grub Killer in the early spring and early fall every year.

This stuff:
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insects-pests/products/season-long-grub-control-plus-turf-revitalizer

And if you want to try a "nuke" approach, they make a 24-hr killer. Those grubs hatch from eggs in the late summer and feed on your lawn and are most succeptible to grub killer in the early to mid fall timeframe.

Hmmm! Good thought. I don't use grub killer since I put down Milkey Spore a year or two ago and that will take care of the grubs in my yard for the next 30 years. but my neighbors probably won't spend the dough, and there are a lot of fields fairly nearby.

I'll try the distraction plants this year. I used to have rose bushes but tore them out... I'd rather be growing something I can get food off of.

Hmmm! Good thought. I don't use grub killer since I put down Milkey Spore a year or two ago and that will take care of the grubs in my yard for the next 30 years. but my neighbors probably won't spend the dough, and there are a lot of fields fairly nearby.

Effectiveness of milky spore is much debated. I know from my personal experience that the grub killer works very well. It works even better if you educate your neighbors and and in the worst cases even offer to buy and/or apply it for them.

I'll try the distraction plants this year. I used to have rose bushes but tore them out... I'd rather be growing something I can get food off of.

Agreed! I have 1 antique rose I keep around but otherwise have a slew of other things such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, jostaberries, strawberries, 3 pear trees, 2 peach trees, 2 cherry trees, a crabapple, a decorative plum, dogwoods, a birch tree, a couple maples, etc in addition to my 14 hop crowns and lots of veggie gardening including beans, peas, potatoes, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, yadda yadda yadda.

In short, I would rate Japanese beatle preference in my setting to something like this:

1) Rose Bush
2) crabapple/birch/plum trees
3) Pole beans
4) Bush and Soy beans
5) Dogwoods
6) Maple trees
7) Hops

They seem to leave almost everything else in my garden alone.

You can also use this product around your non-fruit trees to help kill the little buggers when they eat the leaves, preventing them from laying eggs in the area:

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/insect...h-tree-shrub-insect-control-landscape-formula

Works quite well IMO.

And I do almost everything as organically as I can, but have not been able to find or read about anything that is even half as effective as these Bayer products.

So...... squirrels just wiped me out. Had two Willamette plants all fat and sassy, doing real well..... then, the horror!! I just wish the City Manager didn't live down the street, or I would apply an ounce and a half of 7 1/2 birdshot with a three dram equivalent "applicator"...... OK lesson learned, the chicken wire goes over the top too! More rhizomes in the mail, hope it isn't too dang late.

A bit off topic... anyone have some thoughts on keeping the Japanese Bettles

Tell your neighbors you got a really good deal on traps and wanted to give them one or two if they could use them. And then you don't use any, or put some out in a field nearby. You'll be fine then.

Now you guys have me all nervous about my hops. The Japanese beetles haven't seemed to be here for a few years, but squirrels and are often seen running around outisde

Back