Radical Brewing Recipes (Randy Mosher)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
Any of you out there own this book and try any recipes yet.

It is a great book, and I am trying to prioritize which recipes to try first, any proven winners that any HBT'ers have made and loved?

I got the book for free when renewing my AHA membership. It has been a great read so far, and there are many recipes that I want to try and make.

I did the Spiced Cherry Dubbel last Aug. and it tuned out awesome.
I plan on doing two batches this year. One normal and one funky/sour.
I'll be heading up to the Traverse City area at cherry harvest time.

I also have a batch of his American Wheat ready to keg.
And I'll be brewing the Mister Squinty Contemporary Summertime ale sometime this week.

I have the book, but most of the recipes are a little out there for me. Really, really interesting read though. I'd recommend it to anyone that wanted to see what various off-shoots other than our traditional styles of wine, beer, mead, etc there were in the past...

I have yet to try any of his recipes straight-up.....I have gotten more than a few ideas from that book though. The one I really want to try is the "Dark Night Tangerine Porter", but I've been busy perfecting my own version of a wheat porter. Once I am satisfied with mine, then I plan to make that one just for fun and because it sounds god-awful delicious.

I just brewed the first recipe in the book, Tire-Biter Bitter. I have a a thread on it.

It tastes pretty damn good going into the fermentor. I can really taste the homemade specialty grains.

Sorry I don't have more experience with the book. I just bought it. I have about three or four recipes planned from that book.

I have the book but have not gotten that far yet. A good read so far. I also got Designing Great Beers and How to Brew, so I have a lot of reading ahead of me!

I made the kotbusser from p258 and loved it. I still have distant cousins in that part of Germany, and I was looking to make something other than a stout with some oats I had laying around.

I also refered to his Rye Pale Ale (p87)when I made a Roggen, I sort of winged it on that batch.

I've made the summer ale (modern version), gardens of wheat'n hefeweizen, rye pale ale, and the witbier (using the cereal mash scheme he recommends). All have turned out excellent. I highly recommend dry hopping the summer ale as it just seems to take it to the next level.

I'm either making the spiced cherry dubbel (in the Christmas section) next or a spiced cherry stout (using the same technique, except with a stout) next.

I have tried the Oatmeal Cookie Brown (I think it was actually in 2 parts of the book... he substituted some home roasted oats for something in a Brown Ale recipe... sorry, the book is at home and I'm not)

That being said, it wasn't very good... but that has nothing to do with the book or recipe, but 100% to do with me not being very good... tastes kinda like rocket fuel (alcohol flavor)... I am hoping it will mellow with age... I also forgot to roast the oats before mashing them (using DeathBrewers partial mash stovetop process)

I've made a few. The Mr Squinty is good. I've also done the Mint Choc Stout, Gingerbread Brown, and a few others. I use the book more for inspiratation than for straight recipes, but there are lots of fine ideas in there.

How did the Mint Choc Stout turn out?

I've made a few. The Mr Squinty is good. I've also done the Mint Choc Stout, Gingerbread Brown, and a few others. I use the book more for inspiratation than for straight recipes, but there are lots of fine ideas in there.

I made the Mjod recipe, the Scandinavian holiday mead. It turned out a little too tart, but I blame that on eye-balling the acid blend addition. Nice otherwise.

Mister Squinty Summer Ale was a hit at a party I brewed it for. I used Windsor yeast, and if I did it again I'd use a yeast the floccuated better, but otherwise it was great. Refreshing and flavorful (if too yeasty at first from the Windsor). I'm totally going to try dry-hopping it next time.

I screwed up Tire-Bite Bitter by sparging too hot, making it an astringent mess.

I made one or two embelleishments to Three Nipple Tripel and I wish I didn't drink it all so soon. It's one of my favorite beers.

great book but i have never made any brews acording to his recipes rather i have used his recipes and advice as basic guidelines to my own beers. thats pretty much the reason i bought the book so i give it two thumbs up. great bathroom read because any section you open it up to is about five minutes of fantastic material

I have tried the Oatmeal Cookie Brown (I think it was actually in 2 parts of the book... he substituted some home roasted oats for something in a Brown Ale recipe... sorry, the book is at home and I'm not)

That being said, it wasn't very good... but that has nothing to do with the book or recipe, but 100% to do with me not being very good... tastes kinda like rocket fuel (alcohol flavor)... I am hoping it will mellow with age... I also forgot to roast the oats before mashing them (using DeathBrewers partial mash stovetop process)

Im getting the same thing! I split the amber and biscuit up instead of one or the other... and its very HOT! I did roast my oats for about 50min @ 300 flipping every 5 min (with time out of the oven probably closer to 30min). Im going to take it out of the fridge and let it age for a month and see how it turns out. English Ale 2 yeast from wyeast was used,

I did a Mint Chocolate Stout (in my sig) that was loosely based on his concept. The India Red Ale is really good too.

Back